Re: [MedievalSawdust] Drafting program

  • michael culp
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013

      Sketchup is about as easy as it gets

      Michael

      On Apr 23, 2013 7:24 PM, "Dan Baker" <LordRhys@...> wrote:

      I am looking for a free or low cost drafting program, should be very very very very simple to use.

      -Capten Rhys
    • Gary 'Hal' Link
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013
        Yes Sketchup is the way to go, Trimble now owns it:http://www.sketchup.com/
        It is 3D so if you are not use to it just play with it. Taunton press has a couple of e-books that are good tutorials for using Sketchup for furniture design.
        Very good for non organic design, I'm doing all my Gothic designs on it now and can put the patterns into my CNC carving machine.

        In Service
        Hal

        To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        From: LordRhys@...
        Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 18:24:16 -0500
        Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Drafting program

        I am looking for a free or low cost drafting program, should be very very very very simple to use.

        -Capten Rhys

      • Barekr Silfri

          From: LordRhys@...
          Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 18:24:16 -0500

          I am looking for a free or low cost drafting program, should be very very very very simple to use.

          -Capten Rhys

        • Fearghus Ó Conchobhair
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013

            Sketchup

            On Apr 23, 2013 7:24 PM, "Dan Baker" <LordRhys@...> wrote:

            I am looking for a free or low cost drafting program, should be very very very very simple to use.

            -Capten Rhys
          • Duncan Sinclair
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
              "doesn't go well with the way I think"

              That's the way with me for every CAD program I've ever tried. Even though I work in IT, my artistic side just won't mesh. I end up resorting to pencil and paper.

              Duncan Sinclair the Cordwanier (MKA: Chris Anderson)
              KC9UVB
              Barony of Sternfeld
              Middle Kingdom

              Greenwood #514, F&AM

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
                I still use GenericCAD (DOS based) on an XP
                machine. I've tried many CAD packages (including
                Autocad), but still keep going back. Most of the
                time I just need a 2D drawing and not 3D.
                Unfortunately, DOS packages won't run on Windows7
                and above, so at some point I'll need to port to
                a Linux and see if I can get it to run on the DOS
                emulation there. There is (finally) a package
                that uses the GenericCAD commands and files, but
                it is quite expensive. I run it's trial version
                for viewing old drawings on the newer machines.
                For image processing, I use Photoshop.

                Beth Matney

                At 08:30 AM 4/24/2013, you wrote:

                >"doesn't go well with the way I think"
                >
                >That's the way with me for every CAD program
                >I've ever tried. Even though I work in IT, my
                >artistic side just won't mesh. I end up resorting to pencil and paper.
                >
                >Duncan Sinclair the Cordwanier (MKA: Chris Anderson)
                >KC9UVB
                >Barony of Sternfeld
                >Middle Kingdom
                >
                >Greenwood #514, F&AM

              • Justin Crouch
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
                  "Unfortunately, DOS packages won't run on Windows7
                  and above, so at some point I'll need to port to
                  a Linux and see if I can get it to run on the DOS
                  emulation there."

                  Have you tried running it in DOS-box on 7?
                  http://www.dosbox.com/

                  I don't know if it would work for you or not, but that may be an option.

                  LeO

                  At 08:30 AM 4/24/2013, you wrote:

                  >"doesn't go well with the way I think"
                  >
                  >That's the way with me for every CAD program
                  >I've ever tried. Even though I work in IT, my
                  >artistic side just won't mesh. I end up resorting to pencil and paper.
                  >
                  >Duncan Sinclair the Cordwanier (MKA: Chris Anderson)
                  >KC9UVB
                  >Barony of Sternfeld
                  >Middle Kingdom
                  >
                  >Greenwood #514, F&AM

                • Justin Crouch
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
                    ""doesn't go well with the way I think"

                    That's the way with me for every CAD program I've ever tried. Even though I work in IT, my artistic side just won't mesh. I end up resorting to pencil and paper.

                    Duncan Sinclair the Cordwanier (MKA: Chris Anderson)
                    KC9UVB
                    Barony of Sternfeld
                    Middle Kingdom"

                    Nods, I have a notebook and pencil, along with graph paper, for just this reasoning. For some reason my left-brain and right-brain don't like to talk. This makes me sad :(