Drafting program

  • Dan Baker
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013

      I am looking for a free or low cost drafting program, should be very very very very simple to use.

      -Capten Rhys
    • Justin Crouch
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013
        Google SketchUp is the one I see most recommended while searching the netz often. However, I ATTEMPTED to use it...twice...and both times, I can't figure it out myself (and I'm pretty tech savvy.) However, I have seen some cool things done with it...My main issue I think is it just doesn't go well with the way I think and that's a personal issue on my part, not the programs.

        If you haven't tried it, it's free...it's Google (a company I love with ALL my heart, as a tech-person).

        LeO

        On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 6:24 PM, Dan Baker <LordRhys@...> wrote:

        I am looking for a free or low cost drafting program, should be very very very very simple to use.

        -Capten Rhys

      • michael culp
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013

          Sketchup is about as easy as it gets

          Michael

          On Apr 23, 2013 7:24 PM, "Dan Baker" <LordRhys@...> wrote:

          I am looking for a free or low cost drafting program, should be very very very very simple to use.

          -Capten Rhys
        • Gary 'Hal' Link
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013
            Yes Sketchup is the way to go, Trimble now owns it:http://www.sketchup.com/
            It is 3D so if you are not use to it just play with it. Taunton press has a couple of e-books that are good tutorials for using Sketchup for furniture design.
            Very good for non organic design, I'm doing all my Gothic designs on it now and can put the patterns into my CNC carving machine.

            In Service
            Hal

            To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
            From: LordRhys@...
            Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 18:24:16 -0500
            Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Drafting program

            I am looking for a free or low cost drafting program, should be very very very very simple to use.

            -Capten Rhys

          • Barekr Silfri

              From: LordRhys@...
              Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 18:24:16 -0500

              I am looking for a free or low cost drafting program, should be very very very very simple to use.

              -Capten Rhys

            • Fearghus Ó Conchobhair
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013

                Sketchup

                On Apr 23, 2013 7:24 PM, "Dan Baker" <LordRhys@...> wrote:

                I am looking for a free or low cost drafting program, should be very very very very simple to use.

                -Capten Rhys
              • Duncan Sinclair
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
                  "doesn't go well with the way I think"

                  That's the way with me for every CAD program I've ever tried. Even though I work in IT, my artistic side just won't mesh. I end up resorting to pencil and paper.

                  Duncan Sinclair the Cordwanier (MKA: Chris Anderson)
                  KC9UVB
                  Barony of Sternfeld
                  Middle Kingdom

                  Greenwood #514, F&AM

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
                    I still use GenericCAD (DOS based) on an XP
                    machine. I've tried many CAD packages (including
                    Autocad), but still keep going back. Most of the
                    time I just need a 2D drawing and not 3D.
                    Unfortunately, DOS packages won't run on Windows7
                    and above, so at some point I'll need to port to
                    a Linux and see if I can get it to run on the DOS
                    emulation there. There is (finally) a package
                    that uses the GenericCAD commands and files, but
                    it is quite expensive. I run it's trial version
                    for viewing old drawings on the newer machines.
                    For image processing, I use Photoshop.

                    Beth Matney

                    At 08:30 AM 4/24/2013, you wrote:

                    >"doesn't go well with the way I think"
                    >
                    >That's the way with me for every CAD program
                    >I've ever tried. Even though I work in IT, my
                    >artistic side just won't mesh. I end up resorting to pencil and paper.
                    >
                    >Duncan Sinclair the Cordwanier (MKA: Chris Anderson)
                    >KC9UVB
                    >Barony of Sternfeld
                    >Middle Kingdom
                    >
                    >Greenwood #514, F&AM

                  • Justin Crouch
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
                      "Unfortunately, DOS packages won't run on Windows7
                      and above, so at some point I'll need to port to
                      a Linux and see if I can get it to run on the DOS
                      emulation there."

                      Have you tried running it in DOS-box on 7?
                      http://www.dosbox.com/

                      I don't know if it would work for you or not, but that may be an option.

                      LeO

                      At 08:30 AM 4/24/2013, you wrote:

                      >"doesn't go well with the way I think"
                      >
                      >That's the way with me for every CAD program
                      >I've ever tried. Even though I work in IT, my
                      >artistic side just won't mesh. I end up resorting to pencil and paper.
                      >
                      >Duncan Sinclair the Cordwanier (MKA: Chris Anderson)
                      >KC9UVB
                      >Barony of Sternfeld
                      >Middle Kingdom
                      >
                      >Greenwood #514, F&AM

                    • Justin Crouch
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
                        ""doesn't go well with the way I think"

                        That's the way with me for every CAD program I've ever tried. Even though I work in IT, my artistic side just won't mesh. I end up resorting to pencil and paper.

                        Duncan Sinclair the Cordwanier (MKA: Chris Anderson)
                        KC9UVB
                        Barony of Sternfeld
                        Middle Kingdom"

                        Nods, I have a notebook and pencil, along with graph paper, for just this reasoning. For some reason my left-brain and right-brain don't like to talk. This makes me sad :(