Re: Pictish Bench

  • Broom
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 19, 2013
      Vels shot over my head here:
      > The real indicator to me was the cathedralling of the grain following a consistent arc to the bend in arms.

      So I looked the term up. See the 2nd picture here, if you're as green (no pun intended) as me:
      http://www.stephanwoodworking.com/CommonBoardGrainPatterns.htm

      Cathedral grain leads to "cupping": the chipping or of those arch-pieces that are weakly bound to the rest of the wood fibers.

      ' |   Broom        IAmBroom @ gmail . com
      ' |   cellphone:             412-389-1997
      ' |   923 Haslage Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
      '\|/  "Discere et docere", which means:
      '/|\  "Morality is the theory that every human act must be either right
      //|\\ or wrong, and that 99% of them are wrong." - H.L. Mencken