RE: [MedievalSawdust] Pictish Bench

  • Vels inn Viggladi
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 18, 2013

      >From: geraldgoodwine@...
      >
      >How do you tell if something is steam bent or bent in some other
      fashion or simply grown that way?

      From this: http://www.angus.gov.uk/new/Releases-Archive/2012/images/2012-06-28b.jpg
      I'd go with the grain making an 80° turn perfectly with both "arms" as my biggest clue that it was steam bent. Short of asking the maker there is nothing certain, but the particular turn of those parts makes finding that as a natural formation improbable. Also, the grain orientation as it's shown is textbook for which faces should be where for a good steam bending.
      Even green, I don't see oak this thick being bent to a held form without steaming.

      Vels
    • K
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 18, 2013
        Hi, I don't see the wood bending here, exactly the opposite, large sections (like in this chair) do not tend to bend well, If I were to try to make this chair I would look for a tree or branch of a tree that already has the bend in it. like the parts of a cruk church, or the knees for boat building.

        yes I am butting into a conversation I wasn't asked to join. so now I will apologize for that and leave you to it.
      • Vels inn Viggladi
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 18, 2013
          > From: kaisaerpren@...
          > Hi, I don't see the wood bending here, exactly the opposite, large sections (like in this chair) do not tend to bend well, If I were to try to make this chair I would look for a tree or branch of a tree that already has the bend in it. like the parts of a cruk church, or the knees for boat building.
          >
          > yes I am butting into a conversation I wasn't asked to join. so now I will apologize for that and leave you to it.

          If it weren't for open conversation, we wouldn't have this medium to do it...

          The real indicator to me was the cathedralling of the grain following a consistent arc to the bend in arms.

          There's also the possibility that for the reproduction they may have gone with cold compressed lumber rather than steam bending.

          I've dropped a message to Adrian McCurdy, asking how he went about making those sides.

          Vels
        • Vels inn Viggladi
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 18, 2013
            Just got word back from the museum piece maker. Turns out kaisarpren was right.

            "The arms are 'branch bends' and retain the full strenth of the wood grain. I was lucky to find good shapes in the nik of time.
            hope this helps
            Adrian"

            I suppose I'd have lost a quarter on this bet.

            Vels

            To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
            From: velsthe1@...
            Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 15:26:48 -0400
            Subject: RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Pictish Bench

            > From: kaisaerpren@...
            > Hi, I don't see the wood bending here, exactly the opposite, large sections (like in this chair) do not tend to bend well, If I were to try to make this chair I would look for a tree or branch of a tree that already has the bend in it. like the parts of a cruk church, or the knees for boat building.
            >
            > yes I am butting into a conversation I wasn't asked to join. so now I will apologize for that and leave you to it.

            If it weren't for open conversation, we wouldn't have this medium to do it...

            The real indicator to me was the cathedralling of the grain following a consistent arc to the bend in arms.

            There's also the possibility that for the reproduction they may have gone with cold compressed lumber rather than steam bending.

            I've dropped a message to Adrian McCurdy, asking how he went about making those sides.

            Vels

          • Broom
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 19, 2013
              Vels shot over my head here:
              > The real indicator to me was the cathedralling of the grain following a consistent arc to the bend in arms.

              So I looked the term up. See the 2nd picture here, if you're as green (no pun intended) as me:
              http://www.stephanwoodworking.com/CommonBoardGrainPatterns.htm

              Cathedral grain leads to "cupping": the chipping or of those arch-pieces that are weakly bound to the rest of the wood fibers.

              ' |   Broom        IAmBroom @ gmail . com
              ' |   cellphone:             412-389-1997
              ' |   923 Haslage Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
              '\|/  "Discere et docere", which means:
              '/|\  "Morality is the theory that every human act must be either right
              //|\\ or wrong, and that 99% of them are wrong." - H.L. Mencken