RE: [MedievalSawdust] Bone box glue

  • Hall, Hayward
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 12, 2013
      After rendering, do you let the fish glue harden and break it up into chunks for later use? Or do you have to keep it wet? Basically you just boil down the skins?

      I wouldn't mind making some of that at Lilies...

      One discovery I made is that fish skin glue is great for gluing bone but other medieval glue I have tried doesn't work well if at all.

      ------------------------------------
    • Michael Scherrer
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 12, 2013
        Make for an interesting Rush class.  You should be easy to find, just follow my nose.

        To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        From: hallh@...
        Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:54:57 +0000
        Subject: RE: [MedievalSawdust] Bone box glue

        After rendering, do you let the fish glue harden and break it up into chunks for later use? Or do you have to keep it wet? Basically you just boil down the skins?

        I wouldn't mind making some of that at Lilies...

      • karincorbin
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 14, 2013
          You will not be a popular person if you make fish glue at any kind of public gathering. Rather like taking a skunk camping with you.

          http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,110,42965&p=20019

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Michael Scherrer <lordthomas@...> wrote:

          > Make for an interesting Rush class. You should be easy to find, just follow my nose.
          >

          > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
          > From: hallh@...
          > Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:54:57 +0000
          > Subject: RE: [MedievalSawdust] Bone box glue
          >

          > After rendering, do you let the fish glue harden and break it up into chunks for later use? Or do you have to keep it wet? Basically you just boil down the skins?
          >
          > I wouldn't mind making some of that at Lilies...

        • Jerry Harder
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 15, 2013
            Fish glue stays a liquid  and doesn't turn into a Knox blocks consistency like other hide glue.  (Slices of Knox blocks are easy to dry) Fish glue can (and was) cooked down and let dry for storage just like other hide glues but be careful.  It is easy to over cook and burn in its thick state.  The more it (any collagen glue) is cooked the shorter the microscopic chains of collagen become, and the weaker the glue.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 15, 2013
              Not really true.  You would not really believe how many folks ask what smelt so good and were ready to invite themselves to supper a couple years ago a couple -3 years ago at Lilies when I did it.  Of course the fish was kept frozen till ready to use so they were in no way rotten.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 15, 2013
                As to boiling down the skins, I scraped all flesh off and all scales off.  The skins shrink down to looking like they should be from a fish in a gold fish bowl instead of the pan fish they were, then they were taken out and the collagen water reduced down at the lowest temp possible -about 140-170 deg F.