Re: Period Chest

  • lord.ormr
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 9, 2013
      Yeah, the Ivory octagon box is absoluetely beautiful. It was also linked from the other site I just posted, and had a few other angle shots to get the whole picture.

      Thank you for posting your pictures. these boxes are giving me more and more ideas for my wood carving as well. guess I will need to add more things to my project list.

      Ormr

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "gloerke" <gloerke@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I have an image of a small medieval octagon chest from Cologne, Germany at my blogpost http://thomasguild.blogspot.nl/2011/12/kolner-minnekastchen.html. It is made from ivory, but with current legislation you better make it from other material ;)
      >
      > Marijn
      >
      > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "lord.ormr" <simpson1999@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Looking for some reference or examples of a period octagon chest or box. I have found some architecture and painings or images of octagon but not a box or chest. Google and Bing are just ticking me off at this point.
      > >
      > > If anyone would have somewhere to go to look for tis, I would be eternaly grateful.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Ormr

    • Hall, Hayward
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 12, 2013

        http://thomasguild.blogspot.nl/2011/12/kolner-minnekastchen.html

        I find it fascinating the lack of “communication” if you will between the carved bone panels and the bronze strapping.  I see this rather frequently.  Was the strapping added later?  Was there simply a division of labor so much so that there was little to no planning?  Or, was the mindset just different in that it didn’t matter if some of the carving got covered up because it wasn’t as precious as it would be today?

        Guillaume

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 12, 2013
          Hi, I'm Leonardus from the Calontir area (Technically live on the
          Mississippi on the Midrealm side, but started in Calontir at college),
          and I joined a week or so ago, and have been lurking. Figured I'd
          introduce myself prior to joining the conversation.

          @Guillaume

          Lovely pictures on that link you posted. And I do see what you mean
          about the lack of flow between the carvings and the braces on some of
          the pieces. Looking at the first box, I was going to say it looked to
          be added on later, probably the box was falling apart and they decided
          to throw the braces on. However, looking at some of the lower ones, it
          seems some of them were planned around where the braces would be. The
          small casket with the devices on it, doesn't have that though as the
          braces run right through the shield.

          Having worked in theatre, and similar things have happened between
          departments, I want to say (in my mundane way of thinking) it's a mix
          of all three. I do know some pieces in theatre get communicated well
          (when talking props/furniture/set building) and it works with each
          other, this is generally the case when the same person does it all.
          But if one person did the carving, and then sent it off to someone
          else to do the bracings, it's likely they didn't take into account the
          location of where the braces would need to be and over-decorated the
          piece. And when it came to the point of the 'functional' aspect, it
          was like..."well we don't WANT to cover it up, but we don't have much
          choice." That sentiment I've seen often in my theatre background.

          BUTTT that's just my two cents, so I may be wrong entirely. But if I
          had to guess...I'd say a mix of added later, poor communication
          between multiple builders and then some that work beautifully with
          each other.

          LeO