Re: [MedievalSawdust] Greetings to the list [2 Attachments]

  • Thylacine
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 28 1:20 AM
      Welcome to the group. I would love to see some plans for your tuam chairs, they look great.
      Thank you
      Alden
      On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Mike Foley <mfsbuell@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Mike Foley included below]

      Greetings all
       Mike Foley here ,  SCA Michael of Fetburg.
      Just joined and wanted to introduce myself.
      I build Medieval and Renaissance Furniture as well as being a Blacksmith.
      Looking forward to chatting with you all.
       I have attached 2 pictures, one is my new home made portable forge using a double action Great Bellows, The other is of some of my tables and Tuam chairs waiting for pickup at my house.
       I would bemore than happy to share the plans.
      Best Regards
      Mike Foley
      M and S Matchlock
       Manteca CA.

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 28 9:09 AM

        i will send you what i have. they came off an old PDF file from SCA archives. the big diff in mine and their plans. is good shop equipment. i have a 3/4 horse shopfox ( grizzley) mortise machine. a jointer and a 12 inch plainer. etc

        Sent from my Kindle Fire

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 28 9:37 AM
        Hi all. The Tuam  and Sligo Chair plans are from the known world archives. http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/toc.htm and http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/toc.htm

        The Big difference is having the tools to do a proper job.  and the Shopfox mortise machine is key.
        Prep is the word, Kiln Dried is the second word.
         There is a Lumber grade here in California that is California school certified, basically kiln dried, this wood goes for around $1.00 a foot. it is the greatest thing to work with. so flat that one pass on each side through the planer and it's ready to use..
        For the back I use a standard  home depot 4x6 cut to 39 inches long. Plane it , Joint it. Then scribe the angle of the back onto the side of the 4x6, the same as you see on the plans. Again Tools, I use a Grizzly  band saw with the extension block  so i can rip and resaw up to 12 inches tall. to cut out the shape.
         I never worry about blade wobble or such, the blade adds to the medieval feeling, lol.
         I will scan my construction notes at some point, they are mainly scribbles on graph paper.
         Hope this helps
        Yours
         Mike

        Message 4 of 8 , Mar 28 9:01 PM