RE: [MedievalSawdust] Greetings to the list

  • Mike Wilson
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 27, 2013
      Like Lucien said, welcome from a fellow lurker!

      Archer
      Gleann Abhann

      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: jimlooper@...
      Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 19:56:11 -0400
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Greetings to the list

      Argh! Stop following me around!

      Heh... Welcome to the list. I mostly lurk, but the yahoo page has a great amount information on it, but nothing compared to the knowledge I've seen passed around.

      Happy woodworking!

      Lucien

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013
        Welcome to the group. I would love to see some plans for your tuam chairs, they look great.
        Thank you
        Alden
        On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Mike Foley <mfsbuell@...> wrote:

        [Attachment(s) from Mike Foley included below]

        Greetings all
         Mike Foley here ,  SCA Michael of Fetburg.
        Just joined and wanted to introduce myself.
        I build Medieval and Renaissance Furniture as well as being a Blacksmith.
        Looking forward to chatting with you all.
         I have attached 2 pictures, one is my new home made portable forge using a double action Great Bellows, The other is of some of my tables and Tuam chairs waiting for pickup at my house.
         I would bemore than happy to share the plans.
        Best Regards
        Mike Foley
        M and S Matchlock
         Manteca CA.

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013

          i will send you what i have. they came off an old PDF file from SCA archives. the big diff in mine and their plans. is good shop equipment. i have a 3/4 horse shopfox ( grizzley) mortise machine. a jointer and a 12 inch plainer. etc

          Sent from my Kindle Fire

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013
          Hi all. The Tuam  and Sligo Chair plans are from the known world archives. http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/toc.htm and http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/toc.htm

          The Big difference is having the tools to do a proper job.  and the Shopfox mortise machine is key.
          Prep is the word, Kiln Dried is the second word.
           There is a Lumber grade here in California that is California school certified, basically kiln dried, this wood goes for around $1.00 a foot. it is the greatest thing to work with. so flat that one pass on each side through the planer and it's ready to use..
          For the back I use a standard  home depot 4x6 cut to 39 inches long. Plane it , Joint it. Then scribe the angle of the back onto the side of the 4x6, the same as you see on the plans. Again Tools, I use a Grizzly  band saw with the extension block  so i can rip and resaw up to 12 inches tall. to cut out the shape.
           I never worry about blade wobble or such, the blade adds to the medieval feeling, lol.
           I will scan my construction notes at some point, they are mainly scribbles on graph paper.
           Hope this helps
          Yours
           Mike

          Message 5 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013