Re: [MedievalSawdust] Greetings to the list

  • Jim Looper
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 27, 2013
      Argh! Stop following me around!

      Heh... Welcome to the list. I mostly lurk, but the yahoo page has a great amount information on it, but nothing compared to the knowledge I've seen passed around.

      Happy woodworking!

      Lucien

      Message 3 of 8 , Mar 27, 2013
        Like Lucien said, welcome from a fellow lurker!

        Archer
        Gleann Abhann

        To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com

        Message 4 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013
          Welcome to the group. I would love to see some plans for your tuam chairs, they look great.
          Thank you
          Alden

          [Attachment(s) from Mike Foley included below]

          Message 5 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013

            i will send you what i have. they came off an old PDF file from SCA archives. the big diff in mine and their plans. is good shop equipment. i have a 3/4 horse shopfox ( grizzley) mortise machine. a jointer and a 12 inch plainer. etc

            Sent from my Kindle Fire

            Message 6 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013
            Hi all. The Tuam  and Sligo Chair plans are from the known world archives. http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/toc.htm and http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/toc.htm

            The Big difference is having the tools to do a proper job.  and the Shopfox mortise machine is key.
            Prep is the word, Kiln Dried is the second word.
             There is a Lumber grade here in California that is California school certified, basically kiln dried, this wood goes for around $1.00 a foot. it is the greatest thing to work with. so flat that one pass on each side through the planer and it's ready to use..
            For the back I use a standard  home depot 4x6 cut to 39 inches long. Plane it , Joint it. Then scribe the angle of the back onto the side of the 4x6, the same as you see on the plans. Again Tools, I use a Grizzly  band saw with the extension block  so i can rip and resaw up to 12 inches tall. to cut out the shape.
             I never worry about blade wobble or such, the blade adds to the medieval feeling, lol.
             I will scan my construction notes at some point, they are mainly scribbles on graph paper.
             Hope this helps
            Yours
             Mike

            Message 7 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013