Greetings to the list

  • Argh
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 27, 2013
      Hello Everyone,
      I am Arghylle from Atlantia. My friends call me Argh. I graduated from North Bennet Street in 1990, I have been in the trade since 1980. My shop is in my back yard in Ellicott City, Maryland, I also fight Rapier
      Glad to be here, Argh
    • Jim Looper
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 27, 2013
        Argh! Stop following me around!

        Heh... Welcome to the list. I mostly lurk, but the yahoo page has a great amount information on it, but nothing compared to the knowledge I've seen passed around.

        Happy woodworking!

        Lucien

        Message 4 of 8 , Mar 27, 2013
          Like Lucien said, welcome from a fellow lurker!

          Archer
          Gleann Abhann

          To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com

          Message 5 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013
            Welcome to the group. I would love to see some plans for your tuam chairs, they look great.
            Thank you
            Alden

            [Attachment(s) from Mike Foley included below]

            Message 6 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013

              i will send you what i have. they came off an old PDF file from SCA archives. the big diff in mine and their plans. is good shop equipment. i have a 3/4 horse shopfox ( grizzley) mortise machine. a jointer and a 12 inch plainer. etc

              Sent from my Kindle Fire

              Message 7 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013
              Hi all. The Tuam  and Sligo Chair plans are from the known world archives. http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/toc.htm and http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/toc.htm

              The Big difference is having the tools to do a proper job.  and the Shopfox mortise machine is key.
              Prep is the word, Kiln Dried is the second word.
               There is a Lumber grade here in California that is California school certified, basically kiln dried, this wood goes for around $1.00 a foot. it is the greatest thing to work with. so flat that one pass on each side through the planer and it's ready to use..
              For the back I use a standard  home depot 4x6 cut to 39 inches long. Plane it , Joint it. Then scribe the angle of the back onto the side of the 4x6, the same as you see on the plans. Again Tools, I use a Grizzly  band saw with the extension block  so i can rip and resaw up to 12 inches tall. to cut out the shape.
               I never worry about blade wobble or such, the blade adds to the medieval feeling, lol.
               I will scan my construction notes at some point, they are mainly scribbles on graph paper.
               Hope this helps
              Yours
               Mike

              Message 8 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013