RE: [MedievalSawdust] It looks much easier on TV ...

  • Vels inn Viggladi
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 11 10:21 AM
      >As a side note if your impatient
      get a band saw it would be much quicker :-)

      >This does get me
      one step closer to making a stool from a tree that will be this summers project.

      >Peter Petrovitch

      Yeah, I've been working mostly in lumber from the firewood pile the last couple of months ... Rough hewing, even with a sharp hatchet, can be a real pain. I have gotten faster, and my froe-work has greatly improved.
      Somewhere in here I intend to turn one of these larger bits of oak into a plane. I need something far shorter than a No 7, even shorter than my old Sandusky jack, but larger than a block plane for flattening this stuff. My 4 1/2 is tuned for tissue paper, and I'm not interested in messing with it. I'm thinking a German Style Scrub, and either two blades with different cambers or just two complete planes.
      Still comes back to one thing, takes a bit more to start in the rough than it seems on TV.

      Vels