It looks much easier on TV ...

  • Peter Ellison
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2013
      I got a request to make an axe handle simple enough.

      After recently watching an older Woodwrights show I decided my old axe needed a new edge and I'd give it a try.  If he could do most of the shaping in a half hour I could spend all day and get the same results.

      Between the draw knife and the axe I was able to wood butcher the blank out of dry Ash.  I really need to try green wood working because dry was a lot of work.

      While the axe was a surprising quick and accurate way to remove a lot of material I need on of the little benches Roy sits on and crops into.  That will have to wait till it is sprint and logs are more available.

      As a side note if your impatient get a band saw it would be much quicker :-)

      This does get me one step closer to making a stool from a tree that will be this summers project.

      Peter Petrovitch
    • Vels inn Viggladi
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 11, 2013
        >As a side note if your impatient
        get a band saw it would be much quicker :-)

        >This does get me
        one step closer to making a stool from a tree that will be this summers project.

        >Peter Petrovitch

        Yeah, I've been working mostly in lumber from the firewood pile the last couple of months ... Rough hewing, even with a sharp hatchet, can be a real pain. I have gotten faster, and my froe-work has greatly improved.
        Somewhere in here I intend to turn one of these larger bits of oak into a plane. I need something far shorter than a No 7, even shorter than my old Sandusky jack, but larger than a block plane for flattening this stuff. My 4 1/2 is tuned for tissue paper, and I'm not interested in messing with it. I'm thinking a German Style Scrub, and either two blades with different cambers or just two complete planes.
        Still comes back to one thing, takes a bit more to start in the rough than it seems on TV.

        Vels