odors inna toolbox!

  • K
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2013
      WHAT is that smell? let me know if any of you have ever experienced it.

      previously in my life I have opened tool boxes (not mine)that have not been opened or used in Many years and have experienced an odor that while not pleasant also not entirely offensive.

      I used to assume it was the smell of some kind of rust inhibitor that the owners had used.

      Yesterday I opened one of My tool trays that has not been getting a lot of use and it smelled the same way.

      the odor is somewhat like a wax or oil smell and somewhat like the smell of hot iron just after it is pulled from the blacksmith's fire. Saying it smells like metal and oil might be useful.
    • leaking pen

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2013
          petrochemical off-gassing, from oil and plastics

          Karin C