Froe

  • Don Bowen
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 27, 2013
      I am looking for a decent Froe. I cannot find mine and my wrist is no
      longer up to hammering.

      --
      Don Bowen AD0BR
      "A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom."
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 27, 2013
        check ebay Don.

        I just bought a great 14 inch blade for 40 bucks.

             Custom Commissions Welcome....!

        www.partsandtechnical.com

        To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 27, 2013
          On 2/27/2013 3:52 PM, D. Young wrote:
          > I just bought a great 14 inch blade for 40 bucks.

          Thanks, I usually check there but had not. I want to experiment with
          splitting some Sycamore to use in triangle back stool.

          --
          Don Bowen AD0BR
          "A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom."
          -Michel De Montaigne 1588
        • appelgarthe

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 27, 2013
              On 2/27/2013 4:21 PM, nelsonhaynes@... wrote:
              They can also be made out of and old truck leaf spring.

              I had thought of welding a piece of pipe to the end of a piece of truck spring then grinding an edge on the spring.  THe more I think about it the better I like that idea, thanks for the reminder.
              --
              Don Bowen           AD0BR
              "A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom."
              -Michel De Montaigne 1588
            • bsrlee
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 27, 2013
                If you have a bung wrist, give the pipe a miss. Just get a leaf out of a leaf spring set - the biggest one with an eye at each end and usually a hole in the middle.

                Just cut it in two at the hole by whatever means are at hand, then weld up the open eye joint, straighten, grind the bevel then fit a wooden handle. Wood should absorb more shock than steel pipe when you start the froe into the wood with a beetle. Just like Roy Underhill showed in one of his early shows :-)

                If you are living out of the cities you likely have a auto graveyard somewhere around that you can get a leaf spring for the effort of collecting it.

                regards
                Brusi of Orkney

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 28, 2013
                  On 2/27/2013 8:42 PM, bsrlee wrote:
                  > If you are living out of the cities you likely have a auto graveyard
                  > somewhere around that you can get a leaf spring for the effort of
                  > collecting it.

                  I collect steel when I find it. I checked my pile last night and I have
                  two spring sets that may work well. I do live in the country on my own
                  44 acres of woods.

                  --
                  Don Bowen AD0BR
                  "A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom."
                  -Michel De Montaigne 1588
                • gavinkilkenny
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 8 11:05 AM
                    color me mildly jealous ;)

                    And Lehman's - the "Amish" catalogue company - has a froe for a reasonable price that seems to work adequately. Although I have to admit I have managed to put a bit of a twist in it working with largish chunks of pretty gnarly oak.