Is charcoal a wood project?

  • Jerry Harder
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24 11:29 PM
      By the way the DSCoo958 pic was of the haystack method of charcoal
      making project I did this summer. That's still working with wood, right?
      Its documented in Pyrotechnica Byrringuccio (1533-44) I think the 33
      date is when they think it was written and 44 when published. my
      spelling and the 2 dates may be off a "smige" but less than a decade.
      Left the source at home.
    • Wolf
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 25 11:00 AM
        Personally, I don't see any reason why it "shouldn't" be considered as still working with wood. And given the... ah... shall we say, "climate" nowadays, maybe knowing how to make charcoal would be a Good Thing!

        Of course, I'm still dying to know more about those canes you spoke of earlier - the whole kite thing interests me, along with other possible uses outside of their use as musical instruments. I don't see why you couldn't cut it down into thin strips and use it for things like the old-fashioned reed-bottom chair, or weave it into baskets.

        Lee

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 25 1:04 PM
          Lee,
          I've been studying, researching and making period kites - eastern and western - for about 15 years. In my kingdom, Gleann Abhann, they call me the kite guy.
          If you want to know more, just give me a shout. I'll be teaching classes on selecting and prepping bamboo to make a Japanese children's kite at this year's Gulf War.

          Archer

          To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
          From: sancoeur@...
          Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 11:00:04 -0800
          Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Is charcoal a wood project?

[...]

        • Antonia di Lorenzo
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 26 11:55 PM
            I'd reckon so. For a project that had to use the wood provided, I've gone as far as burning the wood to ash to make lye, because the wood was so full of insects and useless for anything else.

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Harder <geraldgoodwine@...> wrote:

            > By the way the DSCoo958 pic was of the haystack method of charcoal
            > making project I did this summer. That's still working with wood, right?
            > Its documented in Pyrotechnica Byrringuccio (1533-44) I think the 33
            > date is when they think it was written and 44 when published. my
            > spelling and the 2 dates may be off a "smige" but less than a decade.
            > Left the source at home.

          • Jerry Harder
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 27 3:58 AM
              What did you use the lye for?

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Harder wrote:

              > By the way the DSCoo958 pic was of the haystack method of charcoal
              > making project I did this summer. That's still working with wood, right?
              > Its documented in Pyrotechnica Byrringuccio (1533-44) I think the 33
              > date is when they think it was written and 44 when published. my
              > spelling and the 2 dates may be off a "smige" but less than a decade.
              > Left the source at home.

            • SCA
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 27 4:06 AM
                Paper making, plus altering the pH of turmeric dye to change the colour from orange to red.