RE: [MedievalSawdust] cane

  • Mike Wilson
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24, 2013
      There are wind whistles, and "harps" called hummers, put onto kites throughout the far east.

      Archer
      Barony of Small Gray Bear
      Gleann Abhann

      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: darsnordham@...
      Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 19:43:53 -0800
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] cane

      Have you any idea what kind of cane it is? Speaking as an instrument
      maker, some kinds are wonderful for reeds.
      Perhaps send an image to the list, I might be able to identify it. If it
      is a type I can use, I would be quite interested in some.
      --
      Aleyn Wykington O.L.
      Shire of Hartwood

      On 2/24/2013 12:36 AM, Jerry Harder wrote:
      > Last year a work friends neighbor was going to kill a patch of cane he
      > had growing on his property. Knowing that I might be interested, he ask
      > if i wanted it. Now I have a 5ft by 35 foot bed of it.
      > it looked like tall corn when I got it very late in the spring and grew
      > that tall again on my property the same year. It originally came from
      > California but I don't know where it's really native too. I thing it
      > may get as much as 15 ft tall this year, and I did cut and save last
      > years canes. Can anyone document any medieval uses? Even better 16th C
      > German? Anyone want to play with some?

    • Jerry Harder
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 24, 2013
      Not really, but I don't think it's bamboo although I really don't know the difference between cane, bamboo, and reeds.  Attached are some pictures from the garden it came from (in may?) and DSCoo958 is  in maybe Aug or Sept.  They were cut back to about 6 in for transplant.

      On 2/24/2013 9:43 PM, Stuart wrote:

      Have you any idea what kind of cane it is? Speaking as an instrument
      maker, some kinds are wonderful for reeds.
      Perhaps send an image to the list, I might be able to identify it. If it
      is a type I can use, I would be quite interested in some.
      --
      Aleyn Wykington O.L.
      Shire of Hartwood
      Tir Righ
      AnTir

      On 2/24/2013 12:36 AM, Jerry Harder wrote:
      > Last year a work friends neighbor was going to kill a patch of cane he
      > had growing on his property. Knowing that I might be interested, he ask
      > if i wanted it. Now I have a 5ft by 35 foot bed of it.
      > it looked like tall corn when I got it very late in the spring and grew
      > that tall again on my property the same year. It originally came from
      > California but I don't know where it's really native too. I thing it
      > may get as much as 15 ft tall this year, and I did cut and save last
      > years canes. Can anyone document any medieval uses? Even better 16th C
      > German? Anyone want to play with some?

    • baron_devin
      Message 3 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013
        I have golden bamboo growing in my yard, myself. Last year Master Philippe de Lyon asked for a couple of stalks to make late period fishing poles.
        One was going to be a complex collapsible model.

        Devin

        Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver. So which do you prefer, silver or gold?