RE: [MedievalSawdust] cane

  • Mike Wilson
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24, 2013
      Master Gerald,

      Look up Science and Civilisation, a multi-volume masterpiece on China edited by Joseph Needham. Bamboo has been used for literally thousands of years for a variety of things, including the mundane such as gutters and downspouts.
      Off the top of my head, the uses of bamboo in the west seem limited. There is a kite reference in Volume IV, book 2. The bibliography of that book alone is well over 300 pages - with the western sources numbering about 160.
      However, Giambattista della Porta wrote in Natural Magick (1558) about using reeds in the construction of a "comet" (kite). The use of paper and bamboo to make kites was mentioned in The Book of Animals, a book written in the middle ages by a Islamic scholar.
      Also bamboo was used for kites in several sources, all far eastern: Korean, Japanese, Thai, Cambodian and Indian.

      Archer
      (the Gleann Abhann kite guy)

      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: geraldgoodwine@...
      Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 02:36:21 -0600
      Subject: [MedievalSawdust] cane

      Last year a work friends neighbor was going to kill a patch of cane he
      had growing on his property. Knowing that I might be interested, he ask
      if i wanted it. Now I have a 5ft by 35 foot bed of it.
      it looked like tall corn when I got it very late in the spring and grew
      that tall again on my property the same year. It originally came from
      California but I don't know where it's really native too. I thing it
      may get as much as 15 ft tall this year, and I did cut and save last
      years canes. Can anyone document any medieval uses? Even better 16th C
      German? Anyone want to play with some?

    • Stuart
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 24, 2013
        Have you any idea what kind of cane it is? Speaking as an instrument
        maker, some kinds are wonderful for reeds.
        Perhaps send an image to the list, I might be able to identify it. If it
        is a type I can use, I would be quite interested in some.
        --
        Aleyn Wykington O.L.
        Shire of Hartwood

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 24, 2013
          There are wind whistles, and "harps" called hummers, put onto kites throughout the far east.

          Archer
          Barony of Small Gray Bear
          Gleann Abhann

          To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
          From: darsnordham@...
          Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 19:43:53 -0800
          Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] cane

          Have you any idea what kind of cane it is? Speaking as an instrument
          maker, some kinds are wonderful for reeds.
          Perhaps send an image to the list, I might be able to identify it. If it
          is a type I can use, I would be quite interested in some.
          --
          Aleyn Wykington O.L.
          Shire of Hartwood
          Tir Righ
          AnTir

          On 2/24/2013 12:36 AM, Jerry Harder wrote:
          > Last year a work friends neighbor was going to kill a patch of cane he
          > had growing on his property. Knowing that I might be interested, he ask
          > if i wanted it. Now I have a 5ft by 35 foot bed of it.
          > it looked like tall corn when I got it very late in the spring and grew
          > that tall again on my property the same year. It originally came from
          > California but I don't know where it's really native too. I thing it
          > may get as much as 15 ft tall this year, and I did cut and save last
          > years canes. Can anyone document any medieval uses? Even better 16th C
          > German? Anyone want to play with some?

        • Jerry Harder
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 24, 2013
          Not really, but I don't think it's bamboo although I really don't know the difference between cane, bamboo, and reeds.  Attached are some pictures from the garden it came from (in may?) and DSCoo958 is  in maybe Aug or Sept.  They were cut back to about 6 in for transplant.

          On 2/24/2013 9:43 PM, Stuart wrote:

          Have you any idea what kind of cane it is? Speaking as an instrument
          maker, some kinds are wonderful for reeds.
          Perhaps send an image to the list, I might be able to identify it. If it
          is a type I can use, I would be quite interested in some.
          --
          Aleyn Wykington O.L.
          Shire of Hartwood
          Tir Righ
          AnTir

          On 2/24/2013 12:36 AM, Jerry Harder wrote:
          > Last year a work friends neighbor was going to kill a patch of cane he
          > had growing on his property. Knowing that I might be interested, he ask
          > if i wanted it. Now I have a 5ft by 35 foot bed of it.
          > it looked like tall corn when I got it very late in the spring and grew
          > that tall again on my property the same year. It originally came from
          > California but I don't know where it's really native too. I thing it
          > may get as much as 15 ft tall this year, and I did cut and save last
          > years canes. Can anyone document any medieval uses? Even better 16th C
          > German? Anyone want to play with some?

        • baron_devin
          Message 5 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013
            I have golden bamboo growing in my yard, myself. Last year Master Philippe de Lyon asked for a couple of stalks to make late period fishing poles.
            One was going to be a complex collapsible model.

            Devin

            Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver. So which do you prefer, silver or gold?