Re: [MedievalSawdust] Photos of The Great Machine [5 Attachments]

  • Helen Schultz
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 2013
      Wow!!  What an awesome set-up.  How do you keep the dog moving?  How long can you expect to keep him/her doing it?  Just curious.

      ~~ Katarina Helene

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 20, 2013

        There are many factors.   When I was able to set it up in my barn, I could train the dogs regularly.  Then, as athletes, they could go about 20-30 minutes under no load conditions and 70 deg weather.  When it's hot like at Lilies, that translates to about 15 minutes.  My barn was halfway blown down by severe winds so I am uncomfortable putting it up in the barn and so for the moment the dogs are couch potatoes, thus last year at Lilies (and the temperature was relatively moderate) they were able to only go about 5 minutes and increased to about 8 minutes by the end of the war.  The leather tumbling barrel I ran with last year was a pretty heavy load.  Three dogs at a time ran it well for about 10 minutes.  One dog not so much. Everything dissembles for transport including the wheel and all with period joints. The assembled wheel just by itself weighs about 500 lbs. and the wood came from honey locus from my fence rows.  I chose trees with appropiately curved limbs for the fellows.