Video of the Great Machine

  • Jerry Harder
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
      I tried several times to send a video as an attachment the same way I
      sent the photos. The photos showed up correctly. The video showed up
      in my sent folder but not on the list. Anyone know why? Oddly when I
      click on the video attachment in my sent folder thunderbird asks what to
      do with it suggesting the desk top. When I say ok it stores the video
      on the desktop as one would expect. Then I can click it and watch it.
      But most importantly the message doesn't show up in the medievalsawdust
      list postings at all.
    • Helen Schultz
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
        I don't see myself making one, but I would love to see your video... please send it to me direct ( helen dot schultz at comcast dot net ).

        ~~ Katarina Helene

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
            Yahoo groups software will scrub off any attachments you send in an email to the group. Instead you include in your message a link to the website the video is stored on.

            Karin C

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Harder <geraldgoodwine@...> wrote:

            > I tried several times to send a video as an attachment the same way I
            > sent the photos. The photos showed up correctly. The video showed up
            > in my sent folder but not on the list. Anyone know why? Oddly when I
            > click on the video attachment in my sent folder thunderbird asks what to
            > do with it suggesting the desk top. When I say ok it stores the video
            > on the desktop as one would expect. Then I can click it and watch it.
            > But most importantly the message doesn't show up in the medievalsawdust
            > list postings at all.

          • Jerry Harder
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
              It was 16.2MB.  Karin said,"Yahoo groups software will scrub off any attachments you send in an email to the group. Instead you include in your message a link to the website the video is stored on."  My pictures went through so its not "any attachments".  It must be too big like you say or related to the fact that it is a video.  Do you happen to know which? I don't have a website and its a video I took with my own camera.  I have seen where others have referred to pictures but had no way to figure how to get to them.  I'm not very good with with the web and computers and may need some walking through.  In the mean time, I am attempting to send some attached videos direct to someone that has requested it direct.

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
                I can’t remember but I think it’s 5 or 10 mb and larger that yahoo strips out.

                Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:20 AM
                Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Video of the Great Machine

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
                  The best way to deal with things like videos & documents etc. is to go
                  straight into Yahoo groups & upload it directly to the 'files' section.
                  You probably already have an account with Yahoo groups in order to be on
                  this list (it is possible to avoid this, but it is more complicated).

                  1. Using your browser, go to Yahoo Groups, log in then go to the
                  Medieval Sawdust group. Click on it to open the home page.
                  Click on 'Files' in the left hand column. When that opens, click on 'Add
                  a file' in the right hand column. (Want to make it hard, don't they,
                  couldn't be consistant)

                  2. This should bring up a window with a box to browse to the file you
                  want to upload on your computer (hint: make a copy of the file & put it
                  somewhere easy to find, like 'Desktop' or 'C:/uploads' before you
                  start.) - now browse your computer to the file, click on it which should
                  make the name of the file appear in the file box under the browsing
                  window, then click 'open'. This will take you back to the 'Add File' window.

                  3. Put a description in the box underneath the file name ( 'Great
                  Machine Video' for instance), then click the highlighted box 'upload
                  file' at the bottom right. Go and get a snack while the file uploads as
                  it will take a while. When the file seems to have uploaded, check that
                  it works OK (sometimes things get corrupted or truncated when uploading)
                  then relax & wait for the reactions.

                  If you are going to upload a bunch of videos and/or documents, it would
                  be a good idea to create a personal folder in the files section - the
                  procedure is much the same.
                  If you have a lot of photos to upload, follow the above instructions but
                  substitute 'Photos' for 'Files'.

                  regards
                  Brusi of Orkney
                  Rowany/Lochac.
                • karincorbin
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
                    The easy way would be to upload it to youtube and then put a link to it in email and in the links file.

                    Karin

                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Harder <geraldgoodwine@...> wrote:

                    > It was 16.2MB. Karin said,"Yahoo groups software will scrub off any
                    > attachments you send in an email to the group. Instead you include in
                    > your message a link to the website the video is stored on." My pictures
                    > went through so its not "any attachments". It must be too big like you
                    > say or related to the fact that it is a video. Do you happen to know
                    > which? I don't have a website and its a video I took with my own
                    > camera. I have seen where others have referred to pictures but had no
                    > way to figure how to get to them. I'm not very good with with the web
                    > and computers and may need some walking through. In the mean time, I am
                    > attempting to send some attached videos direct to someone that has
                    > requested it direct.
                    >
                    > On 2/19/2013 8:39 AM, maf@... wrote:
                    > >
                    > > your attachment may be too large. Yahoo strips messages that have over
                    > > sized attachments. How big of a file was it?

                  • Jerry Harder
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
                      I think your right And I had one and it used to work. Now it doesn't and I don't remember my password.  Mine was titled: The Great Machine & The Grindstone Someone else has posted it on youtube also and they are:
                      Lilies war, dog powered machinery
                      Happy dog running in her wheel
                      Close up of dog powered machine

                      Also thanks to Brusi of Orkney whose walk through was of great help.  Now I know how to find the photos folks on this list talk about.  Unfortantly the files allowed are only 5120K so not my videos. I'll have to work the youtube rout.