Re: ODT

  • richard kappler
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2013
      Well, no. It's not Open Office format, it's Open Document. Open Office is an office suite comparable to, and somewhat superior to, Microsoft Office. The problem with Open Office, if there is one, is that when Oracle bought Sun iirc, there were, well, problems. Open Office for all intents and purposes ceased to be developed for a while due to , well, problems in the community.

      Mind you, I used to be an avid Open Office user. When some developers forked it to Libre Office, I made the switch. It is actively developed and imho far superior to both MS and Open Office. That's not the point though. The point is odt.

      The odt  is a format supported by the open source community. doc, docx and other such formats are proprietary, doc and docx to Microsoft. As was mentioned earlier, the open source office suites primarily use odt format, but can save in ANY format you can think of (including pdf).

      I strongly recommend either product over the ones you listed as having. They are far more intuitive and user friendly, they are free and open source, as software oughtta be.

      regards, Richard

      --

      quando omni flunkus moritati