Re: Toolmaking Video

  • gavinkilkenny
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 14, 2013
      Thanks for the link Devin. Fascinating stuff. Amazing to me how simple a wooden bodied plane is - yet how demanding to make it so it will work properly. Tolerances are pretty fine there, it seems to me.

      And again, fascinating how really simple some of the bowsaws can be.

      Wonder where one finds the blades?

      Gavin

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, barondevin@... wrote:

      > > > Is this legit, or a hacked email?
      > >
      > > YES the link could have used a better description but I don't think
      >
      > Sorry, it was late and I wasn't thinking about that possibility.
      >
      > It's a French documentary about a Swiss shop that still makes wood-bodied planes and bowsaws, more or less by hand.
      >
      > I skipped around, but saw enough interesting tools and techniques to think others might be interested.
      >
      > Devin
      >
      > Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver. So which do you prefer, silver or gold?

    • Jerry Harder
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 14, 2013
        I think I deleted the post containing the video link cause it didn't take me there. I am interested . Would someone please post It again.

        On 2/14/2013 4:06 PM, gavinkilkenny wrote:

        Thanks for the link Devin. Fascinating stuff. Amazing to me how simple a wooden bodied plane is - yet how demanding to make it so it will work properly. Tolerances are pretty fine there, it seems to me.

        And again, fascinating how really simple some of the bowsaws can be.

        Wonder where one finds the blades?

        Gavin

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, barondevin@... wrote:

        > > > Is this legit, or a hacked email?
        > >
        > > YES the link could have used a better description but I don't think
        >
        > Sorry, it was late and I wasn't thinking about that possibility.
        >
        > It's a French documentary about a Swiss shop that still makes wood-bodied planes and bowsaws, more or less by hand.
        >
        > I skipped around, but saw enough interesting tools and techniques to think others might be interested.
        >
        > Devin
        >
        > Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver. So which do you prefer, silver or gold?

      • Beth and Bob Matney
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 14, 2013
          I've bought them in woodworking stores, but they are easy to make
          from a bit of bandsaw blade.

          Beth Matney

          At 04:06 PM 2/14/2013, you wrote:

          >Thanks for the link Devin. Fascinating stuff. Amazing to me how
          >simple a wooden bodied plane is - yet how demanding to make it so it
          >will work properly. Tolerances are pretty fine there, it seems to me.
          >
          >And again, fascinating how really simple some of the bowsaws can be.
          >
          >Wonder where one finds the blades?
          >
          >Gavin
        • Joe Jerkins
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 14, 2013
            Hi Gavin,

            Link to video on Swiss tool makers.

            Enjoy.  It's a great video.

            Joe

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
              Thanks

              On 2/14/2013 6:45 PM, Joe Jerkins wrote:
              Hi Gavin,

              Link to video on Swiss tool makers.

              Enjoy.  It's a great video.

              Joe

              I think I deleted the post containing the video link cause it didn't take me there. I am interested . Would someone please post It again.

              On 2/14/2013 4:06 PM, gavinkilkenny wrote:

              Thanks for the link Devin. Fascinating stuff. Amazing to me how simple a wooden bodied plane is - yet how demanding to make it so it will work properly. Tolerances are pretty fine there, it seems to me.

              And again, fascinating how really simple some of the bowsaws can be.

              Wonder where one finds the blades?

              Gavin

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, barondevin@... wrote:

              > > > Is this legit, or a hacked email?
              > >
              > > YES the link could have used a better description but I don't think
              >
              > Sorry, it was late and I wasn't thinking about that possibility.
              >
              > It's a French documentary about a Swiss shop that still makes wood-bodied planes and bowsaws, more or less by hand.
              >
              > I skipped around, but saw enough interesting tools and techniques to think others might be interested.
              >
              > Devin
              >
              > Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver. So which do you prefer, silver or gold?

              thanks
            • Jerry Harder