Re: Essential Tools

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 12, 2013
      >> A bottle of yellow glue (yeah, not the least bit authentic)...
      >
      >I don't know where people get the idea that glue is not period.

      Well, yeah, but mine is a plastic squeezy bottle of yellow aliphatic glue. It's
      more like what they would have used in period than JB Weld, but If I were trying
      to really go full on authentic, it would be a dead giveaway.

      Avery
    • gavinkilkenny
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 12, 2013
        I would read an article on historic glues ;)

        Gavin

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "karincorbin" wrote:

        > Cheese glue makes a good mouse trap bait.
        >
        > Karin
        >
        > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, lists lists wrote:
        > >
        > > I am quite curious about cheese lime glue as well. Please do post a link if
        > > you can. Thank you.
        > > On 11/02/2013 8:30 PM, "Thylacine" wrote:
        > >
        > > > **
        > > >

        > > > I would be interested in a copy of your article. While I have used hide
        > > > glue , I have never heard of the cheese lime glue and I have never made
        > > > any. would definitely be interested in the info.
        > > > Thanks
        > > > Alden

      • Copernicus Skygazer
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 12, 2013
          My apprentice has made cheese glue. You only have a couple of hours to use
          it once made at most, and the stuff is amazingly strong when made right.
          YIS
          Phillipos the Skeptic

          On Mon, 11 Feb 2013, Thylacine wrote:

          > I would be interested in a copy of your article. While I have used hide glue , I have never heard of the cheese
          > lime glue and I have never made any. would definitely be interested in the info.
          > Thanks
          > Alden
          >
          > On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 3:26 AM, Jerry Harder <geraldgoodwine@...> wrote:
          >

          > On 2/4/2013 12:00 AM, Avery Austringer wrote:
          >

          > Other stuff - Nails. A bottle of yellow glue (yeah, not the least bit authentic), a water stone, a
          > little galvanized pan to soak it in and sharpening jig, a scratch stock I made, a rasp, some scrapers,
          > a pair of "contour planes" from Lee Valley a saw file or two, a small regular file, a pair of end
          > nippers and a small pair of pliers, a couple bench hooks, an iron hold down and a dowel plate I made.
          >
          > I don't know where people get the idea that glue is not period.  Both hide and cheese-lime glue are
          > completely period and used for wood.  Theophlis-(1100's) On Diverse Arts tells how to make cheese lime glue
          > as does Cinni (1400?'s)  Hide and leaf glue can be stored dry redissolved. (Leaf glue is not made from
          > leaves but hide glue set up like knox blocks and cut in slices like bread, and dried ) I cut mine into cubes
          > and they look like little jeweled caltrops) I have a kit in an old breef-case that has everything for both I
          > take to wars since I wouldn't want to mess up that perfect medieval project with a modern emergency repair.
          > Is medieval glue enough of an enigma that I should post an article on it?  I have a 20-30 pg article written
          > on medieval glue and have taught several classes on it that have been well received.     BTW:   Hide glue is
          > water and heat soluble, cheese-lime glue is (once dry) resistant to both.  Both were used in wood working
          > and easy to make.  Neither will glue bone but a mixture made as a hot glue will ("Mapa cavilcula"(800's?))
          > (I probably didn't spell "Mapa cavilcula" right) and fish hide glue will glue bone very very well but can
          > still re-dissolve like any other hide glue.

        • Sir David Vavreck
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 12, 2013
            Me, too.

            I am currently in need of information on period heat-resistant glue for a project I am working on.

            > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, lists lists wrote:
            > >
            > > I am quite curious about cheese lime glue as well. Please do post a link if
            > > you can. Thank you.
            > > On 11/02/2013 8:30 PM, "Thylacine" wrote:
            > >
            > > > **
            > > >

            > > > I would be interested in a copy of your article. While I have used hide
            > > > glue , I have never heard of the cheese lime glue and I have never made
            > > > any. would definitely be interested in the info.
            > > > Thanks
            > > > Alden

          • karincorbin
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 13, 2013
              None of the protein (animal) glues...hide, fish, gelatin, cheese, casien are heat resistant. Heat is one of the ways to get them to give up their grip so repairs can be made to furniture.

              You will need to use mechanical type of fasteners in addition to glue or to use wedge locking joint designs if heat is going to be an issue.

              Karin