Re: [MedievalSawdust] Toolmaking Video

  • Jim Looper
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 11, 2013
      Is this legit, or a hacked email?

      Lucien

      ----- Original Message -----
      http://www.rts.ch/archives/tv/culture/suisse-au-fil-du-temps/3464421-les-outils-de-bois.html

      Devin

      Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver. So which do you prefer, silver or gold?
    • Sean Powell
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 11, 2013
        Well I don't speak Swiss/German and "rue du lac" is in Montreux Switzerland near Geneva and the French border but starting about 5 minutes in you see some nice old fashion joinery using hand-planes. I didn't have time to watch the whole 45 minute thing but there are probably some good techniques demonstrated in there.

        YES the link could have used a better description but I don't think it's Spam or a trap or even a link to a nasty pr0n site if that's what you were worried about.

        Sean

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 11, 2013
          > > Is this legit, or a hacked email?
          >
          > YES the link could have used a better description but I don't think

          Sorry, it was late and I wasn't thinking about that possibility.

          It's a French documentary about a Swiss shop that still makes wood-bodied planes and bowsaws, more or less by hand.

          I skipped around, but saw enough interesting tools and techniques to think others might be interested.

          Devin

          Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver. So which do you prefer, silver or gold?
        • gavinkilkenny
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 14, 2013
            Thanks for the link Devin. Fascinating stuff. Amazing to me how simple a wooden bodied plane is - yet how demanding to make it so it will work properly. Tolerances are pretty fine there, it seems to me.

            And again, fascinating how really simple some of the bowsaws can be.

            Wonder where one finds the blades?

            Gavin

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, barondevin@... wrote:

            > > > Is this legit, or a hacked email?
            > >
            > > YES the link could have used a better description but I don't think
            >
            > Sorry, it was late and I wasn't thinking about that possibility.
            >
            > It's a French documentary about a Swiss shop that still makes wood-bodied planes and bowsaws, more or less by hand.
            >
            > I skipped around, but saw enough interesting tools and techniques to think others might be interested.
            >
            > Devin
            >
            > Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver. So which do you prefer, silver or gold?

          • Jerry Harder
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 14, 2013
              I think I deleted the post containing the video link cause it didn't take me there. I am interested . Would someone please post It again.

              On 2/14/2013 4:06 PM, gavinkilkenny wrote:

              Thanks for the link Devin. Fascinating stuff. Amazing to me how simple a wooden bodied plane is - yet how demanding to make it so it will work properly. Tolerances are pretty fine there, it seems to me.

              And again, fascinating how really simple some of the bowsaws can be.

              Wonder where one finds the blades?

              Gavin

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, barondevin@... wrote:

              > > > Is this legit, or a hacked email?
              > >
              > > YES the link could have used a better description but I don't think
              >
              > Sorry, it was late and I wasn't thinking about that possibility.
              >
              > It's a French documentary about a Swiss shop that still makes wood-bodied planes and bowsaws, more or less by hand.
              >
              > I skipped around, but saw enough interesting tools and techniques to think others might be interested.
              >
              > Devin
              >
              > Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver. So which do you prefer, silver or gold?

            • Beth and Bob Matney
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 14, 2013
                I've bought them in woodworking stores, but they are easy to make
                from a bit of bandsaw blade.

                Beth Matney

                At 04:06 PM 2/14/2013, you wrote:

                >Thanks for the link Devin. Fascinating stuff. Amazing to me how
                >simple a wooden bodied plane is - yet how demanding to make it so it
                >will work properly. Tolerances are pretty fine there, it seems to me.
                >
                >And again, fascinating how really simple some of the bowsaws can be.
                >
                >Wonder where one finds the blades?
                >
                >Gavin
              • Joe Jerkins
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 14, 2013
                  Hi Gavin,

                  Link to video on Swiss tool makers.

                  Enjoy.  It's a great video.

                  Joe

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
                    Thanks

                    On 2/14/2013 6:45 PM, Joe Jerkins wrote:
                    Hi Gavin,

                    Link to video on Swiss tool makers.

                    Enjoy.  It's a great video.

                    Joe

                    I think I deleted the post containing the video link cause it didn't take me there. I am interested . Would someone please post It again.

                    On 2/14/2013 4:06 PM, gavinkilkenny wrote:

                    Thanks for the link Devin. Fascinating stuff. Amazing to me how simple a wooden bodied plane is - yet how demanding to make it so it will work properly. Tolerances are pretty fine there, it seems to me.

                    And again, fascinating how really simple some of the bowsaws can be.

                    Wonder where one finds the blades?

                    Gavin

                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, barondevin@... wrote:

                    > > > Is this legit, or a hacked email?
                    > >
                    > > YES the link could have used a better description but I don't think
                    >
                    > Sorry, it was late and I wasn't thinking about that possibility.
                    >
                    > It's a French documentary about a Swiss shop that still makes wood-bodied planes and bowsaws, more or less by hand.
                    >
                    > I skipped around, but saw enough interesting tools and techniques to think others might be interested.
                    >
                    > Devin
                    >
                    > Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver. So which do you prefer, silver or gold?

                    thanks
                  • Jerry Harder