Re: Essential Tools

  • karincorbin
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 8, 2013
      In my travel tool kit I wanted to have the ability to take a larger piece of lumber and break it down as well as making precision cuts on smaller pieces of lumber. So I chose a precision miter saw guide that fits into a very small box, it guides a Japanese pull saw. There is a video for it on youtube if you want to see it in action. But here is a link to a website about it. I got mine at Hardwicks Hardware store in Seattle. It works great, pair it with a good saw and you will be able to quickly make all kinds of things at events.
      http://www.fine-tools.com/G-sawguide.html

      The other thing I felt was needed for taking on large and small projects was a lightweight folding sawhorse that was easy to store in a small area. I purchased a Hide-a-horse and have been very pleased with it. http://hideahorsefoldingsawhorses.com/

      I can store it in a very small area when it is folded. I am making several removable top plates that secure into threaded inserts in the top of the sawhorse for it so I can mount various tools on it. It is very nice for taking outside and sitting in a lawn chair while I do carving. You can see that configuration in this photo from my blog.
      http://karincorbin.blogspot.com/2012/06/power-strop-to-go.html

      Note another essential tool kit item in that blog posting, a homemade honing wheel for sharpening tools. I can even use it to resharpen scalpel blades to a razor edge and as for sharpening carving tools, knives and chisels it works great, no need to take any other sharpening equipment along unless you need to regrind an axe. It is made from glued up layers of double thick mat board. It works just fine in my cordless drill motor so I consider it another essential in my road trip kit of tools.

      Karin

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" wrote:

      > I have a question for the collected wisdom of the group. If you were to develop an "event" tool box, what tools should go in it? Now, I know: you can't know what tools you will need until you know what the task is at hand. And that's the point. As a woodworker, your last name tends to become Canu. As in, "Master William, can u . . . . ?"
      >
      > Often the answer is "no," because I don't have my tools with me. I'm not going to pack up the shop for every weekend event, but I'm trying to figure out what a good, general purpose kit would be for SCA events so that I have what I need on hand to help out or fix when I'm on site.

    • Jerry Harder
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 11, 2013
        On 2/4/2013 12:00 AM, Avery Austringer wrote:

        Other stuff - Nails. A bottle of yellow glue (yeah, not the least bit authentic), a water stone, a little galvanized pan to soak it in and sharpening jig, a scratch stock I made, a rasp, some scrapers, a pair of "contour planes" from Lee Valley a saw file or two, a small regular file, a pair of end nippers and a small pair of pliers, a couple bench hooks, an iron hold down and a dowel plate I made.

        I don't know where people get the idea that glue is not period.  Both hide and cheese-lime glue are completely period and used for wood.  Theophlis-(1100's) On Diverse Arts tells how to make cheese lime glue as does Cinni (1400?'s)  Hide and leaf glue can be stored dry redissolved. (Leaf glue is not made from leaves but hide glue set up like knox blocks and cut in slices like bread, and dried ) I cut mine into cubes and they look like little jeweled caltrops) I have a kit in an old breef-case that has everything for both I take to wars since I wouldn't want to mess up that perfect medieval project with a modern emergency repair.  Is medieval glue enough of an enigma that I should post an article on it?  I have a 20-30 pg article written on medieval glue and have taught several classes on it that have been well received.     BTW:   Hide glue is water and heat soluble, cheese-lime glue is (once dry) resistant to both.  Both were used in wood working and easy to make.  Neither will glue bone but a mixture made as a hot glue will ("Mapa cavilcula"(800's?)) (I probably didn't spell "Mapa cavilcula" right) and fish hide glue will glue bone very very well but can still re-dissolve like any other hide glue.
      • Thylacine
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 11, 2013
          I would be interested in a copy of your article. While I have used hide glue , I have never heard of the cheese lime glue and I have never made any. would definitely be interested in the info.
          Thanks
          Alden

          On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 3:26 AM, Jerry Harder <geraldgoodwine@...> wrote:

[...]

        • lists lists

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 11, 2013
              There is a nice Compleat Anachronist that covers all the types of medieval glues.

              http://sca.org/ca/issues.html
              Ilaria

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 11, 2013
                Cheese glue makes a good mouse trap bait.

                Karin

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, lists lists wrote:

                > I am quite curious about cheese lime glue as well. Please do post a link if
                > you can. Thank you.
                > On 11/02/2013 8:30 PM, "Thylacine" wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > I would be interested in a copy of your article. While I have used hide
                > > glue , I have never heard of the cheese lime glue and I have never made
                > > any. would definitely be interested in the info.
                > > Thanks
                > > Alden
                > >
                > > On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 3:26 AM, Jerry Harder wrote:
                > >
                > >> **
                > >>

                > >> On 2/4/2013 12:00 AM, Avery Austringer wrote:
                > >>

                > >> Other stuff - Nails. A bottle of yellow glue (yeah, not the least bit
                > >> authentic), a water stone, a little galvanized pan to soak it in and
                > >> sharpening jig, a scratch stock I made, a rasp, some scrapers, a pair of
                > >> "contour planes" from Lee Valley a saw file or two, a small regular file, a
                > >> pair of end nippers and a small pair of pliers, a couple bench hooks, an
                > >> iron hold down and a dowel plate I made.
                > >>
                > >> I don't know where people get the idea that glue is not period. Both
                > >> hide and cheese-lime glue are completely period and used for wood.
                > >> Theophlis-(1100's) On Diverse Arts tells how to make cheese lime glue as
                > >> does Cinni (1400?'s) Hide and leaf glue can be stored dry redissolved.
                > >> (Leaf glue is not made from leaves but hide glue set up like knox blocks
                > >> and cut in slices like bread, and dried ) I cut mine into cubes and they
                > >> look like little jeweled caltrops) I have a kit in an old breef-case that
                > >> has everything for both I take to wars since I wouldn't want to mess up
                > >> that perfect medieval project with a modern emergency repair. Is medieval
                > >> glue enough of an enigma that I should post an article on it? I have a
                > >> 20-30 pg article written on medieval glue and have taught several classes
                > >> on it that have been well received. BTW: Hide glue is water and heat
                > >> soluble, cheese-lime glue is (once dry) resistant to both. Both were used
                > >> in wood working and easy to make. Neither will glue bone but a mixture
                > >> made as a hot glue will ("Mapa cavilcula"(800's?)) (I probably didn't spell
                > >> "Mapa cavilcula" right) and fish hide glue will glue bone very very well
                > >> but can still re-dissolve like any other hide glue.

              • Avery Austringer
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 12, 2013
                  >> A bottle of yellow glue (yeah, not the least bit authentic)...
                  >
                  >I don't know where people get the idea that glue is not period.

                  Well, yeah, but mine is a plastic squeezy bottle of yellow aliphatic glue. It's
                  more like what they would have used in period than JB Weld, but If I were trying
                  to really go full on authentic, it would be a dead giveaway.

                  Avery
                • gavinkilkenny
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 12, 2013
                    I would read an article on historic glues ;)

                    Gavin

                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "karincorbin" wrote:

                    > Cheese glue makes a good mouse trap bait.
                    >
                    > Karin
                    >
                    > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, lists lists wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I am quite curious about cheese lime glue as well. Please do post a link if
                    > > you can. Thank you.
                    > > On 11/02/2013 8:30 PM, "Thylacine" wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > **
                    > > >

                    > > > I would be interested in a copy of your article. While I have used hide
                    > > > glue , I have never heard of the cheese lime glue and I have never made
                    > > > any. would definitely be interested in the info.
                    > > > Thanks
                    > > > Alden

                  • Copernicus Skygazer
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 12, 2013
                      My apprentice has made cheese glue. You only have a couple of hours to use
                      it once made at most, and the stuff is amazingly strong when made right.
                      YIS
                      Phillipos the Skeptic

                      On Mon, 11 Feb 2013, Thylacine wrote:

                      > I would be interested in a copy of your article. While I have used hide glue , I have never heard of the cheese
                      > lime glue and I have never made any. would definitely be interested in the info.
                      > Thanks
                      > Alden
                      >
                      > On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 3:26 AM, Jerry Harder <geraldgoodwine@...> wrote:
                      >

                      > On 2/4/2013 12:00 AM, Avery Austringer wrote:
                      >

                      > Other stuff - Nails. A bottle of yellow glue (yeah, not the least bit authentic), a water stone, a
                      > little galvanized pan to soak it in and sharpening jig, a scratch stock I made, a rasp, some scrapers,
                      > a pair of "contour planes" from Lee Valley a saw file or two, a small regular file, a pair of end
                      > nippers and a small pair of pliers, a couple bench hooks, an iron hold down and a dowel plate I made.
                      >
                      > I don't know where people get the idea that glue is not period.  Both hide and cheese-lime glue are
                      > completely period and used for wood.  Theophlis-(1100's) On Diverse Arts tells how to make cheese lime glue
                      > as does Cinni (1400?'s)  Hide and leaf glue can be stored dry redissolved. (Leaf glue is not made from
                      > leaves but hide glue set up like knox blocks and cut in slices like bread, and dried ) I cut mine into cubes
                      > and they look like little jeweled caltrops) I have a kit in an old breef-case that has everything for both I
                      > take to wars since I wouldn't want to mess up that perfect medieval project with a modern emergency repair.
                      > Is medieval glue enough of an enigma that I should post an article on it?  I have a 20-30 pg article written
                      > on medieval glue and have taught several classes on it that have been well received.     BTW:   Hide glue is
                      > water and heat soluble, cheese-lime glue is (once dry) resistant to both.  Both were used in wood working
                      > and easy to make.  Neither will glue bone but a mixture made as a hot glue will ("Mapa cavilcula"(800's?))
                      > (I probably didn't spell "Mapa cavilcula" right) and fish hide glue will glue bone very very well but can
                      > still re-dissolve like any other hide glue.

                    • Sir David Vavreck
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 12, 2013
                        Me, too.

                        I am currently in need of information on period heat-resistant glue for a project I am working on.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 13, 2013
                          None of the protein (animal) glues...hide, fish, gelatin, cheese, casien are heat resistant. Heat is one of the ways to get them to give up their grip so repairs can be made to furniture.

                          You will need to use mechanical type of fasteners in addition to glue or to use wedge locking joint designs if heat is going to be an issue.

                          Karin