Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Camp Clothes Rack

  • conradh@...
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 6, 2013
      > I don't think it really matters where you put the lower stretcher - any
      > arrangement for 4 arms and 4 connection points can rack if you stress it
      > enough.
      > If your camping spots tend to be nice and level and you're not too much
      > of a
      > clothes horse the shoulders on a lower stretcher would probably be
      > sufficient to
      > keep it from doing so - if you're really going to load this thing down and
      > you
      > keep ending up on slopes you're going to need some kind of angled brace.
      >
      > Avery

      I've been going more and more to three-legged camp gear, just because even
      level ground is often lumpy enough to produce this racking problem you
      mention. Besides racking strain on your joinery, four-legged items can be
      just plain unstable, on ground where a three-legged item would be secure.
      This can be an issue with something as tall as a clothes rack, especially
      given how easy it is to snag the rack when removing something in a hurry.

      I have no idea whether you could document a period example, but how about
      using the tusk-tenon joinery to make a clothes rack with a triangular
      footprint? It could have lots more room on it, given that it would all
      knock down and store flat, and be more stable; also the more open interior
      would help in drying damp garb and gear.

      It could be joined out of narrow boards, or turned--like an oversize
      version of a three-legged stool, without a seat.

      Ulfhedinn