Re: Camp Clothes Rack

  • lorderec
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 6, 2013
      Some pix of the cabon are here on my blog:
      http://medievalgardening.blogspot.com

      let me know what you think.
      oh, and here is the St Thomas Guild, if you don't know them yet:
      http://thomasguild.blogspot.com/

      thanks,
      -Erec

    • conradh@...
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 6, 2013
        > I don't think it really matters where you put the lower stretcher - any
        > arrangement for 4 arms and 4 connection points can rack if you stress it
        > enough.
        > If your camping spots tend to be nice and level and you're not too much
        > of a
        > clothes horse the shoulders on a lower stretcher would probably be
        > sufficient to
        > keep it from doing so - if you're really going to load this thing down and
        > you
        > keep ending up on slopes you're going to need some kind of angled brace.
        >
        > Avery

        I've been going more and more to three-legged camp gear, just because even
        level ground is often lumpy enough to produce this racking problem you
        mention. Besides racking strain on your joinery, four-legged items can be
        just plain unstable, on ground where a three-legged item would be secure.
        This can be an issue with something as tall as a clothes rack, especially
        given how easy it is to snag the rack when removing something in a hurry.

        I have no idea whether you could document a period example, but how about
        using the tusk-tenon joinery to make a clothes rack with a triangular
        footprint? It could have lots more room on it, given that it would all
        knock down and store flat, and be more stable; also the more open interior
        would help in drying damp garb and gear.

        It could be joined out of narrow boards, or turned--like an oversize
        version of a three-legged stool, without a seat.

        Ulfhedinn