Re: Camp Clothes Rack

  • lorderec
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 4, 2013
      Oh I have to show you what I made to solve this problem. I fold my clothes like medieval people. But my wife well u know. So I build a cabon, a kufenschrank to be exact, after some 14th century ones that st Thomas guild blogged about. It is completely enclosed, but folds up 6 inches flat for transport. Thin panels in the sides and back to keeps the weight down, door with spot for mirror and all
      -erec

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Laurie" wrote:

      > While the clothes rack I have isn't as fancy as some, it came with my
      > tourney chest. The top cross beam is tusk tenon like the others and the
      > bottom goes through the handles on the sides of my chest. It will hold
      > shirts and pants just fine, but because of the chest there isn't enough
      > space for dresses. No pictures at the moment because it is deep in winter
      > storage.

    • lorderec
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 6, 2013
        Some pix of the cabon are here on my blog:
        http://medievalgardening.blogspot.com

        let me know what you think.
        oh, and here is the St Thomas Guild, if you don't know them yet:
        http://thomasguild.blogspot.com/

        thanks,
        -Erec

      • conradh@...
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 6, 2013
          > I don't think it really matters where you put the lower stretcher - any
          > arrangement for 4 arms and 4 connection points can rack if you stress it
          > enough.
          > If your camping spots tend to be nice and level and you're not too much
          > of a
          > clothes horse the shoulders on a lower stretcher would probably be
          > sufficient to
          > keep it from doing so - if you're really going to load this thing down and
          > you
          > keep ending up on slopes you're going to need some kind of angled brace.
          >
          > Avery

          I've been going more and more to three-legged camp gear, just because even
          level ground is often lumpy enough to produce this racking problem you
          mention. Besides racking strain on your joinery, four-legged items can be
          just plain unstable, on ground where a three-legged item would be secure.
          This can be an issue with something as tall as a clothes rack, especially
          given how easy it is to snag the rack when removing something in a hurry.

          I have no idea whether you could document a period example, but how about
          using the tusk-tenon joinery to make a clothes rack with a triangular
          footprint? It could have lots more room on it, given that it would all
          knock down and store flat, and be more stable; also the more open interior
          would help in drying damp garb and gear.

          It could be joined out of narrow boards, or turned--like an oversize
          version of a three-legged stool, without a seat.

          Ulfhedinn