RE: [MedievalSawdust] Camp Clothes Rack

  • Laurie
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 27, 2013

      While the clothes rack I have isn’t as fancy as some, it came with my tourney chest.  The top cross beam is tusk tenon like the others and the bottom goes through the handles on the sides of my chest.  It will hold shirts and pants just fine, but because of the chest there isn’t enough space for dresses.  No pictures at the moment because it is deep in winter storage.

    • lorderec
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 4 5:51 PM
        Oh I have to show you what I made to solve this problem. I fold my clothes like medieval people. But my wife well u know. So I build a cabon, a kufenschrank to be exact, after some 14th century ones that st Thomas guild blogged about. It is completely enclosed, but folds up 6 inches flat for transport. Thin panels in the sides and back to keeps the weight down, door with spot for mirror and all
        -erec

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Laurie" wrote:

        > While the clothes rack I have isn't as fancy as some, it came with my
        > tourney chest. The top cross beam is tusk tenon like the others and the
        > bottom goes through the handles on the sides of my chest. It will hold
        > shirts and pants just fine, but because of the chest there isn't enough
        > space for dresses. No pictures at the moment because it is deep in winter
        > storage.

      • lorderec
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 6 4:51 PM
          Some pix of the cabon are here on my blog:
          http://medievalgardening.blogspot.com

          let me know what you think.
          oh, and here is the St Thomas Guild, if you don't know them yet:
          http://thomasguild.blogspot.com/

          thanks,
          -Erec

        • conradh@...
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 6 11:06 PM
            > I don't think it really matters where you put the lower stretcher - any
            > arrangement for 4 arms and 4 connection points can rack if you stress it
            > enough.
            > If your camping spots tend to be nice and level and you're not too much
            > of a
            > clothes horse the shoulders on a lower stretcher would probably be
            > sufficient to
            > keep it from doing so - if you're really going to load this thing down and
            > you
            > keep ending up on slopes you're going to need some kind of angled brace.
            >
            > Avery

            I've been going more and more to three-legged camp gear, just because even
            level ground is often lumpy enough to produce this racking problem you
            mention. Besides racking strain on your joinery, four-legged items can be
            just plain unstable, on ground where a three-legged item would be secure.
            This can be an issue with something as tall as a clothes rack, especially
            given how easy it is to snag the rack when removing something in a hurry.

            I have no idea whether you could document a period example, but how about
            using the tusk-tenon joinery to make a clothes rack with a triangular
            footprint? It could have lots more room on it, given that it would all
            knock down and store flat, and be more stable; also the more open interior
            would help in drying damp garb and gear.

            It could be joined out of narrow boards, or turned--like an oversize
            version of a three-legged stool, without a seat.

            Ulfhedinn