Re: Camp Clothes Rack

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 27, 2013
      > any thoughts, particularly on how the uprights are joined to the feet? I assume mortise and tenon.

      To me this looks like a good place for a lap joint (like the one on the lower left, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Woodworking-joint-lap.gif).  If you cut it tight enough and use tusk tenons and wedges for your lower stretchers, you wouldn't even have to glue the feet to the posts - just let the tenon on the stretcher and the wedges lock them together.

      I don't think it really matters where you put the lower stretcher - any arrangement for 4 arms and 4 connection points can rack if you stress it enough.  If your camping spots tend to be nice and level and you're not too much of a clothes horse the shoulders on a lower stretcher would probably be sufficient to keep it from doing so - if you're really going to load this thing down and you keep ending up on slopes you're going to need some kind of angled brace.

      Avery
    • Laurie
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 27, 2013

        While the clothes rack I have isn’t as fancy as some, it came with my tourney chest.  The top cross beam is tusk tenon like the others and the bottom goes through the handles on the sides of my chest.  It will hold shirts and pants just fine, but because of the chest there isn’t enough space for dresses.  No pictures at the moment because it is deep in winter storage.

      • lorderec
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 4, 2013
          Oh I have to show you what I made to solve this problem. I fold my clothes like medieval people. But my wife well u know. So I build a cabon, a kufenschrank to be exact, after some 14th century ones that st Thomas guild blogged about. It is completely enclosed, but folds up 6 inches flat for transport. Thin panels in the sides and back to keeps the weight down, door with spot for mirror and all
          -erec

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Laurie" wrote:

          > While the clothes rack I have isn't as fancy as some, it came with my
          > tourney chest. The top cross beam is tusk tenon like the others and the
          > bottom goes through the handles on the sides of my chest. It will hold
          > shirts and pants just fine, but because of the chest there isn't enough
          > space for dresses. No pictures at the moment because it is deep in winter
          > storage.

        • lorderec
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 6, 2013
            Some pix of the cabon are here on my blog:
            http://medievalgardening.blogspot.com

            let me know what you think.
            oh, and here is the St Thomas Guild, if you don't know them yet:
            http://thomasguild.blogspot.com/

            thanks,
            -Erec

          • conradh@...
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 6, 2013
              > I don't think it really matters where you put the lower stretcher - any
              > arrangement for 4 arms and 4 connection points can rack if you stress it
              > enough.
              > If your camping spots tend to be nice and level and you're not too much
              > of a
              > clothes horse the shoulders on a lower stretcher would probably be
              > sufficient to
              > keep it from doing so - if you're really going to load this thing down and
              > you
              > keep ending up on slopes you're going to need some kind of angled brace.
              >
              > Avery

              I've been going more and more to three-legged camp gear, just because even
              level ground is often lumpy enough to produce this racking problem you
              mention. Besides racking strain on your joinery, four-legged items can be
              just plain unstable, on ground where a three-legged item would be secure.
              This can be an issue with something as tall as a clothes rack, especially
              given how easy it is to snag the rack when removing something in a hurry.

              I have no idea whether you could document a period example, but how about
              using the tusk-tenon joinery to make a clothes rack with a triangular
              footprint? It could have lots more room on it, given that it would all
              knock down and store flat, and be more stable; also the more open interior
              would help in drying damp garb and gear.

              It could be joined out of narrow boards, or turned--like an oversize
              version of a three-legged stool, without a seat.

              Ulfhedinn