Re: [MedievalSawdust] Triangle stool

  • Lynda Fjellman
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 9, 2013
      Here are plans for this stool/chair in a book called Master Pieces, making furniture from paintings by Richard Ball and Peter Campbell. pub 1983
      The premise of the book is strange, and so are some of the pieces in the book but it is one of my go to books when I need a bit of stretching.
      I am going to make one(or several) of those triangle stools one of these days.  There doesn't seem to be anything inherently difficult about them.
      Ilaria

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 14, 2013
        You won't be sorry--measuring and working with 120 degree angles instead
        of 90 takes some getting used to, and springing the last tenons in can
        take another pair of hands sometimes, but it's worth it for the way they
        sit on uneven ground that would badly rack a four-legged chair.

        I made a hackingstock (hewing bench) with three legs last year, and I have
        yet to find a camp or booth site where it isn't wonderfully solid. I feel
        secure using it for a stepstool, which I certainly wouldn't with anything
        four-legged.

        Ulfhedinn
      • Don Bowen
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 14, 2013
          On 1/14/2013 12:16 PM, conradh@... wrote:
          > You won't be sorry--measuring and working with 120 degree angles instead
          > of 90 takes some getting used to, and springing the last tenons in can
          > take another pair of hands sometimes, but it's worth it for the way they
          > sit on uneven ground that would badly rack a four-legged chair.

          That is one of the reasons for taking on this project, something new to
          learn. I am thinking of using small Oaks from my 40 acres of woods.
          One more project in the queue.

          --
          Don Bowen AD0BR
          "A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom."
          -Michel De Montaigne 1588
        • karincorbin
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 21, 2013
            Here is a photo tutorial for you complete with the jigs for drilling the holes for the stretchers. It is an excellent blog to subscribe to if you have not visited it before.

            http://thomasguild.blogspot.com/2011/07/turned-triangle-stool.html

            Karin