Re: [MedievalSawdust] Triangle stool

  • Don Bowen
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 9, 2013
      On 1/9/2013 10:13 AM, bsrlee wrote:
      > http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Medieval.html
      > David Freeman = Cariadoc of the Bow

      Another good source, thank you.

      --
      Don Bowen AD0BR
      "A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom."
      -Michel De Montaigne 1588
    • Lynda Fjellman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 9, 2013
        Here are plans for this stool/chair in a book called Master Pieces, making furniture from paintings by Richard Ball and Peter Campbell. pub 1983
        The premise of the book is strange, and so are some of the pieces in the book but it is one of my go to books when I need a bit of stretching.
        I am going to make one(or several) of those triangle stools one of these days.  There doesn't seem to be anything inherently difficult about them.
        Ilaria

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 14, 2013
          You won't be sorry--measuring and working with 120 degree angles instead
          of 90 takes some getting used to, and springing the last tenons in can
          take another pair of hands sometimes, but it's worth it for the way they
          sit on uneven ground that would badly rack a four-legged chair.

          I made a hackingstock (hewing bench) with three legs last year, and I have
          yet to find a camp or booth site where it isn't wonderfully solid. I feel
          secure using it for a stepstool, which I certainly wouldn't with anything
          four-legged.

          Ulfhedinn
        • Don Bowen
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 14, 2013
            On 1/14/2013 12:16 PM, conradh@... wrote:
            > You won't be sorry--measuring and working with 120 degree angles instead
            > of 90 takes some getting used to, and springing the last tenons in can
            > take another pair of hands sometimes, but it's worth it for the way they
            > sit on uneven ground that would badly rack a four-legged chair.

            That is one of the reasons for taking on this project, something new to
            learn. I am thinking of using small Oaks from my 40 acres of woods.
            One more project in the queue.

            --
            Don Bowen AD0BR
            "A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom."
            -Michel De Montaigne 1588
          • karincorbin
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 21, 2013
              Here is a photo tutorial for you complete with the jigs for drilling the holes for the stretchers. It is an excellent blog to subscribe to if you have not visited it before.

              http://thomasguild.blogspot.com/2011/07/turned-triangle-stool.html

              Karin