Re: [MedievalSawdust] Triangle stool

  • bsrlee
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 9, 2013
      There is a fairly comprehensive DIY article on the Recreational
      Medievalism site

      http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Medieval.html
      David Freeman = Cariadoc of the Bow

      The site seems to have been reorganised, so you will have to get the
      .pdf of the Miscellany & search that.

      regards
      Brusi of Orkney

      On 10-Jan-13 2:42 AM, Don Bowen wrote:
      > I just joined the list as I am looking for plans for a triangle stool or
      > chair. I see a picture in the images section of the one I am looking
      > for. I know it is in one of these piles of books I have here but cannot
      > find it.
      >
      > I was reminded of the chair during a recent viewing of the Hobbit". In
      > one scene in the Hobbit Hole just before the group leaves someone holds
      > up the chair. It is on the left with most of it obscured by Gandolf's
      > head. My grandson is deep into the series and one of those chairs in
      > his room beside his TARDIS bookshelf would put him beside himself.
      >
      > So, anyone know where the plans for such a chair or stool can be found?

    • Don Bowen
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 9, 2013
        On 1/9/2013 10:13 AM, bsrlee wrote:
        > http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Medieval.html
        > David Freeman = Cariadoc of the Bow

        Another good source, thank you.

        --
        Don Bowen AD0BR
        "A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom."
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 9, 2013
          Here are plans for this stool/chair in a book called Master Pieces, making furniture from paintings by Richard Ball and Peter Campbell. pub 1983
          The premise of the book is strange, and so are some of the pieces in the book but it is one of my go to books when I need a bit of stretching.
          I am going to make one(or several) of those triangle stools one of these days.  There doesn't seem to be anything inherently difficult about them.
          Ilaria

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 14, 2013
            You won't be sorry--measuring and working with 120 degree angles instead
            of 90 takes some getting used to, and springing the last tenons in can
            take another pair of hands sometimes, but it's worth it for the way they
            sit on uneven ground that would badly rack a four-legged chair.

            I made a hackingstock (hewing bench) with three legs last year, and I have
            yet to find a camp or booth site where it isn't wonderfully solid. I feel
            secure using it for a stepstool, which I certainly wouldn't with anything
            four-legged.

            Ulfhedinn
          • Don Bowen
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 14, 2013
              On 1/14/2013 12:16 PM, conradh@... wrote:
              > You won't be sorry--measuring and working with 120 degree angles instead
              > of 90 takes some getting used to, and springing the last tenons in can
              > take another pair of hands sometimes, but it's worth it for the way they
              > sit on uneven ground that would badly rack a four-legged chair.

              That is one of the reasons for taking on this project, something new to
              learn. I am thinking of using small Oaks from my 40 acres of woods.
              One more project in the queue.

              --
              Don Bowen AD0BR
              "A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom."
              -Michel De Montaigne 1588
            • karincorbin
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 21, 2013
                Here is a photo tutorial for you complete with the jigs for drilling the holes for the stretchers. It is an excellent blog to subscribe to if you have not visited it before.

                http://thomasguild.blogspot.com/2011/07/turned-triangle-stool.html

                Karin