Triangle stool

  • Don Bowen
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 9, 2013
      I just joined the list as I am looking for plans for a triangle stool or
      chair. I see a picture in the images section of the one I am looking
      for. I know it is in one of these piles of books I have here but cannot
      find it.

      I was reminded of the chair during a recent viewing of the Hobbit". In
      one scene in the Hobbit Hole just before the group leaves someone holds
      up the chair. It is on the left with most of it obscured by Gandolf's
      head. My grandson is deep into the series and one of those chairs in
      his room beside his TARDIS bookshelf would put him beside himself.

      So, anyone know where the plans for such a chair or stool can be found?

      --
      Don Bowen AD0BR
      "A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom."
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 9, 2013
        I have not seen the movie, so I'm not sure if it's the same design, but Peter Follansbee was on The Woodwright's Shop recently to talk about a 17th century triangle stool design:

        This page from the St. Thomas Guild has some pictures and discussion of a similar design:

        Is that what you had in mind?

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 9, 2013
          On 1/9/2013 9:50 AM, James Daily wrote:

          > http://video.pbs.org/video/2270257698
          >
          > This page from the St. Thomas Guild has some pictures and discussion
          > of a similar design:
          >
          > http://thomasguild.blogspot.com/2011/07/turned-triangle-stool.html
          >
          > Is that what you had in mind?

          That's it. It may have been a web site rather than a book. I recently
          (2 1/2 years ago) moved to the Ozarks and have spent the time turning a
          pole barn into my dream shop. Somewhere along the line I have lost some
          books and web links.

          Thanks for the links.

          --
          Don Bowen AD0BR
          "A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom."
          -Michel De Montaigne 1588
        • bsrlee
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 9, 2013
            There is a fairly comprehensive DIY article on the Recreational
            Medievalism site

            http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Medieval.html
            David Freeman = Cariadoc of the Bow

            The site seems to have been reorganised, so you will have to get the
            .pdf of the Miscellany & search that.

            regards
            Brusi of Orkney

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 9, 2013
              On 1/9/2013 10:13 AM, bsrlee wrote:
              > http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Medieval.html
              > David Freeman = Cariadoc of the Bow

              Another good source, thank you.

              --
              Don Bowen AD0BR
              "A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom."
              -Michel De Montaigne 1588
            • Lynda Fjellman
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 9, 2013
                Here are plans for this stool/chair in a book called Master Pieces, making furniture from paintings by Richard Ball and Peter Campbell. pub 1983
                The premise of the book is strange, and so are some of the pieces in the book but it is one of my go to books when I need a bit of stretching.
                I am going to make one(or several) of those triangle stools one of these days.  There doesn't seem to be anything inherently difficult about them.
                Ilaria

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 14, 2013
                  You won't be sorry--measuring and working with 120 degree angles instead
                  of 90 takes some getting used to, and springing the last tenons in can
                  take another pair of hands sometimes, but it's worth it for the way they
                  sit on uneven ground that would badly rack a four-legged chair.

                  I made a hackingstock (hewing bench) with three legs last year, and I have
                  yet to find a camp or booth site where it isn't wonderfully solid. I feel
                  secure using it for a stepstool, which I certainly wouldn't with anything
                  four-legged.

                  Ulfhedinn
                • Don Bowen
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 14, 2013
                    On 1/14/2013 12:16 PM, conradh@... wrote:
                    > You won't be sorry--measuring and working with 120 degree angles instead
                    > of 90 takes some getting used to, and springing the last tenons in can
                    > take another pair of hands sometimes, but it's worth it for the way they
                    > sit on uneven ground that would badly rack a four-legged chair.

                    That is one of the reasons for taking on this project, something new to
                    learn. I am thinking of using small Oaks from my 40 acres of woods.
                    One more project in the queue.

                    --
                    Don Bowen AD0BR
                    "A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom."
                    -Michel De Montaigne 1588
                  • karincorbin
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 21, 2013
                      Here is a photo tutorial for you complete with the jigs for drilling the holes for the stretchers. It is an excellent blog to subscribe to if you have not visited it before.

                      http://thomasguild.blogspot.com/2011/07/turned-triangle-stool.html

                      Karin