Re: Two hand saws

  • K
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 30, 2012
      Hi;
      saws need "set" to make the "Kerf" (slot that the saw cuts) wider than the thickness of the blade, "Set" is the amount the teeth are bent sideways after sharpening. This is done with a "saw setting tool" or a "saw set".
      logging saws are all coarse crosscut saws.
      see Paul Hasluck's "The Handyman's Book" for description of saws and sharpening.
      have fun!

    • i_griffen
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 31, 2012
        Garvin

        Having experience sharpening and setting these Saws. It sounds to me there is no set in the teeth and the raker teeth are too long and needs to br taken down.

        Method to sharpen Saw, Measure height of Rakers (the rakers cleans the kerf as you are cutting)to tooth height. Sharpen teeth, both sides. Recheck the profile of the raker to tooth, the raker should be slightly shorter than the tooth. Once this is done then set the teeth to make the kerf.

        When I used to sharpen Bucking and falling saws, I clamped therm to a 2x6 then to a bench to keepthe teeth upright.then I would use a triangler file or a flat file.

        Iain Griffen