Re: my saw collection

  • Geirfold
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 27, 2012
      Can you post pics of them?

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "D. Young" <furnaceplans@...> wrote:

      > If anyone is interested in early saws I own the following, the are heavily based on medieval versions (ie, we can take cues).
      >
      > --early kenyon keyhole saw circa 1670-1720
      > --early keyhole saw circa 1650-1750
      > --Dutch saw pistol grip handle circa 1650-1730
      > --several 18th century pistol long saw
      > --1815 long saw
      > --and numerous cross cut logging saws and 19th century saws
      >
      > Notably there are only a handful of the first mentioned saws in the world so Im happy to discuss details. I searched for these for years.
      >
      > LMK if interested.
      >
      > Cheers
      > Drew
      >

      > Fine Armour and Historical Reproductions
      >
      > Custom Commissions Welcome....!
      > www.partsandtechnical.com
      >
      > (Well Formed Munitions Catalog Coming This Spring)
      >

      > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      > From: dukegavin@...
      > Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 00:35:06 +0000
      > Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Two hand saws

      > I bought a 42 inch saw off eBay and have been giving it some test runs. Seems to be a problem with it binding as soon as it gets past the depth of the teeth.
      >

      > Wondering if there is any advice from the crew about proper care and feeding of such tools, and any tricks to their effective use.
      >

      > One thought I'm having is that it may need a bit of offset on the teeth- at present it looks to be dead straight, with no offset.
      >

      > Gavin

    • D. Young
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 28, 2012
        Yeah sure.   Give me a day or so.   In the meantime most of my saw pics and early tool pics actually are on my facebook group page.   Just faster to upload.   Most people have FB accounts so swing by if you get the chance.   Ill upload here this week.

        cheers
        Drew

        To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        From: hammered_shamrock@...
        Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 14:33:33 +0000
        Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Re: my saw collection

        Can you post pics of them?

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "D. Young" <furnaceplans@...> wrote:

        > If anyone is interested in early saws I own the following, the are heavily based on medieval versions (ie, we can take cues).
        >
        > --early kenyon keyhole saw circa 1670-1720
        > --early keyhole saw circa 1650-1750
        > --Dutch saw pistol grip handle circa 1650-1730
        > --several 18th century pistol long saw
        > --1815 long saw
        > --and numerous cross cut logging saws and 19th century saws
        >
        > Notably there are only a handful of the first mentioned saws in the world so Im happy to discuss details. I searched for these for years.
        >
        > LMK if interested.
        >
        > Cheers
        > Drew
        >

        > Fine Armour and Historical Reproductions
        >
        > Custom Commissions Welcome....!
        > www.partsandtechnical.com
        >
        > (Well Formed Munitions Catalog Coming This Spring)
        >

        > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        > From: dukegavin@...
        > Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 00:35:06 +0000
        > Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Two hand saws

        > I bought a 42 inch saw off eBay and have been giving it some test runs. Seems to be a problem with it binding as soon as it gets past the depth of the teeth.
        >

        > Wondering if there is any advice from the crew about proper care and feeding of such tools, and any tricks to their effective use.
        >

        > One thought I'm having is that it may need a bit of offset on the teeth- at present it looks to be dead straight, with no offset.
        >

        > Gavin

      • K
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 30, 2012
          Hi;
          saws need "set" to make the "Kerf" (slot that the saw cuts) wider than the thickness of the blade, "Set" is the amount the teeth are bent sideways after sharpening. This is done with a "saw setting tool" or a "saw set".
          logging saws are all coarse crosscut saws.
          see Paul Hasluck's "The Handyman's Book" for description of saws and sharpening.
          have fun!

        • i_griffen
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 31, 2012
            Garvin

            Having experience sharpening and setting these Saws. It sounds to me there is no set in the teeth and the raker teeth are too long and needs to br taken down.

            Method to sharpen Saw, Measure height of Rakers (the rakers cleans the kerf as you are cutting)to tooth height. Sharpen teeth, both sides. Recheck the profile of the raker to tooth, the raker should be slightly shorter than the tooth. Once this is done then set the teeth to make the kerf.

            When I used to sharpen Bucking and falling saws, I clamped therm to a 2x6 then to a bench to keepthe teeth upright.then I would use a triangler file or a flat file.

            Iain Griffen