Geometry of Moulding Planes

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 17, 2012
      So I've collected a couple moulding planes, mostly hollows and rounds and I'm noticing that the shoulder to the cheek to the left of the blade, which everyone says should be 30° off of vertical (because each plane does a 60° pass per arc so that the width of the blade is 1/6 of the full diameter, etc.) is typically nothing like 30°.  Have I just chosen poorly when picking out my antique planes, or the whole 30° cheek thing one of those nice in theory but in practice.... kind of things.

      Avery
    • Bill Fariss
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 17, 2012
        The shoulder cutback has nothing to do with the arc of the blade. It was generally cut at that angle to allow the user to get as full a round as they could in complex moldings.

        William Fariss
        "Never look back unless you want to go that way"