Re: new pictures from Matthewe Baker - flat-pack 4-person table & 2 matching benches

  • Julian Wilson
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 16, 2012

      Diane <dianerzebet@...> wrote: -  < This is a truly beautiful set you have made. Thank you for the photos. >
      REPLY
      Thank you, Diane, - appreciation is always welcome.
      The re-enactor friend for whom I made this Camp Dining-set, sent me a picture of a similar but un-carved modern-commercial dining-set which was  too big to fit his car; and asked me if I could do him a slightly-scaled-down, gothic-themed Dining-Set which would flat-pack, and with table- and bench-tops sized to fit into the boot of his car crossways underneath the rest of his Camp equipment.
      Having the general idea, plus a picture, made the detail-design and construction much easier. Since he was willing to pay quite a bit extra for the use of some of the antique timber [as I'd mentioned I had it in stock], I exerted myself a little in research into the late-medieval uses of coving, fluting, shadow lines, and curves, and came up with what you see, after a couple of hours experimentation on my "setting-out" table.
      I'm quite pleased with the result.
      Matthewe Baker