Sharpening questions

  • i_griffen
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2012
      Good afternoon all,

      I have a spoke shave with a curved blade and it is dull. Question: is there anyone in Atenveldt that sharpen it? I also have one with a stright blade am are able to hone it.

      Now with a draw knife is it better to hone the edge or to grind it?

      Thanks for your help
      Iain Griffen
    • Peter Ellison
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 11, 2012
        Grinding is for re-shaping or taking a chip out of a blade.  If the shape is good then stones or your favorite method will put a good edge back on.  It takes me a moderate amount of time to sharpen the draw knife, but patience pays off.

        I'm assuming the curved spoke shave is one that is U shaped and the inside of the U is what needs the sharpening.  Wrapping wet dry sand paper (scary sharp method) around a dowel will get a "shaped" stone.  It will take patience but you can bring it back to sharp.

        Peter

        > Good afternoon all,
        >
        > I have a spoke shave with a curved blade and it is dull. Question: is
        > there anyone in Atenveldt that sharpen it? I also have one with a stright
        > blade am are able to hone it.
        >
        > Now with a draw knife is it better to hone the edge or to grind it?
        >
        > Thanks for your help
        > Iain Griffen

      • i_griffen
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 11, 2012
          What grit(s)of paper would you suggest. The blade is convex, instead of pulling a curl it chips and clogs the assembly.

          Iain (John)

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Ellison" <pellison@...> wrote:

          > Grinding is for re-shaping or taking a chip out of a blade.  If the
          > shape is good then stones or your favorite method will put a good edge
          > back on.  It takes me a moderate amount of time to sharpen the draw
          > knife, but patience pays off.
          >
          > I'm assuming the curved spoke
          > shave is one that is U shaped and the inside of the U is what needs the
          > sharpening.  Wrapping wet dry sand paper (scary sharp method) around
          > a dowel will get a "shaped" stone.  It will take patience
          > but you can bring it back to sharp.
          >
          > Peter
          >

          > Good afternoon all,
          > >
          > > I have a spoke shave with a
          > curved blade and it is dull. Question: is
          > > there anyone in
          > Atenveldt that sharpen it? I also have one with a stright
          > > blade
          > am are able to hone it.
          > >
          > > Now with a draw knife is it
          > better to hone the edge or to grind it?
          > >
          > > Thanks for
          > your help
          > > Iain Griffen

        • Peter Ellison
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 11, 2012
            If the blade is in good shape, no major nicks or chips out of the blade the 400 to start with and 800 to finish should give you a pretty good working edge.  There are people who use the "scary sharp" method who use much higher grit.

            If your local home center does not carry many options, auto parts stores have a better selection generally.

            I'd try a quick pass on the back of the blade before messing with the curve.  That might bring it back into shape.

            The goal is to take off as little metal as possible.

            One method that I use is to color the edge where you are sharpening with a sharpe marker.  That way you can see the color go away and you sure your working on the area that you think you are.

            Personally I have switched from the scary sharp method to a "Work Sharp 3000".  It allowed me to get a good working edge pretty quick.  Now that I have sharp tools to work with I have been trying my hand at using a set of stones and manually sharpening.

            The other thing that helped was to hone blades with leather and some green grit (colors vary the local place had green) that puts the final hone on the blade.

            Peter

          • nelsonhaynes@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 12, 2012
              I, also would use the scary sharp method using 600 grit and 1500 grit sandpaper. A good site to find out about the scary sharp method is: http://primeshop.com/access/woodwork/scarysharp/.

              I plan on teaching a class entitled " how to sharpen a knife" at Northwoods 12th night. if it goes over well, I might teach it at war.

              Also, finding good used tools is easy and inexpensive through the Midwest Tool Collectors Association. They know the difference between good working toos and collectors items. www.mwtca.org/

              Good Luck,

              Master Nigel