18th century workbench for sale! CHEAP

  • D. Young
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 9, 2012
      There is an antique dealer in the Chesapeake area that has a 18th/early 19th century workbench for sale at only 500.

      That is **CHEAP** for a great and probably workable antique

      Its 8 feet long X 30 wide....x 29 inches high (one could make a base for it)

      It was originally offered at 1000 dollars....cut to 500....but going back to auction next week.

      If interested LMK ASAP.....

      I found it in the Craigslist ads in the Chesapeake Maryland area.....

      I dont want to see this get used by some yahoo as a chabby chic kitchen slab (all cut up) or some sort of potting plant table outside.

           Custom Commissions Welcome....!

      www.partsandtechnical.com

      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: dailyje@...
      Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 13:56:49 -0600
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Portable Workbench

      Vises existed in the late period (and earlier for all I know, but these examples are from the late period):

      http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317b-15-v
      http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317b-34-r

      But they aren't integrated into the bench in the same way as that style of bench.

      Alternatively you could go really simple and make a portable four-legged with some dog holes, as in these examples:

      http://thomasguild.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html

      -James

      On Nov 7, 2012, at 1:35 PM, "Dave Ordway" <dabugler@...> wrote:

      > Thanks everyone who's provided input so far. I found this interesting table top on the web and by modifying the dimensions and attaching detachable legs it might fit the bill. Thoughts, too Colonial looking?
      >
      > Lagerstein
      >
      > http://www.popularwoodworking.com/workbenches/schwarz-workbenches/the-modern-milkmans-workbench
      >
      > Johann, I reside on the East coast U.S. Not SCA and don't know where Estrella is.

    • K
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 17, 2012
        see: Roy Underhill, woodwright's aprentice
        also scanning thru posted pictures here i saw a nice one with removeable legs.