Hello from Antonia - new member

  • Antonia di Lorenzo
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2012
      Hi everyone. My name is Maestra Antonia di Lorenzo, and I hail from the fair kingdom of Lochac. My persona is a 14th century Italian court artist. I am looking forward to learning lots from this site.

      My main interest is medieval panel painting in egg tempera and the technical aspects of paints, glues and varnishes, but I have dabbled in many other areas pertaining to court artistry including designing and building a small fire-breathing dragon automaton. Currently I am extending my work into making the panels and other things to be painted using more traditional techniques (ie less use of power tools and modern glues) and am building up a tool chest of medieval style tools to use for this. I've recently joined the Australian hand tool preservation society to learn more about making and looking after older style tools.

      I have a blog where I show off my projects, and on the site are downloadable versions of the documentation for my A&S projects, workshop notes on topics such as egg tempera painting, working with gesso and glue making, and the medieval trivia column I write for our baronial newsletter. There is also a 6-minute video on YouTube showing the dragon and how it works. The links for these two are:

      http://mymedievallife.wordpress.com/
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuebMIlPrUI

      Antonia
    • conradh@efn.org
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2012
        Welcome Maestra Antonia! That laurel looks well deserved!

        I love it when I can get everything lined up for a period project with
        period tools and materials. I've been gradually working up a period
        blacksmith shop I can take to events, and I enjoy woodworking projects
        that start with trees.

        It needs a bunch of updating, but a bit is at:

        www.freewebs.com/ulfhedins/index-2.htm

        Ulfhedinn