Re: Portable Workbench

  • John LaTorre
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 7, 2012
      Lagerstein wrote:

      > I've been kicking around the idea of making a woodworking bench that is collapsible or disassembles to bring to demos and faires. I'd like it to resemble something period but be as functional as a folding Workmate. It will mainly be used as a clamping table for sawing, chiseling, and planing. I have some ideas but thought I would throw it out to the group to see if anyone has any ideas or experiences. Material wise; it would have to be stable and sturdy but hopefully not weigh a hundred pounds (for example Oak). Any thoughts?

      There are some pictures of my portable workbench in the files section:

      and

      as well as some write-ups on it in the messages section. If you use
      "workbench" as the search term, you should be able to find them.

      I don't know where you're located, but the bench itself will make an
      appearance at Estrella War, if you happen to be in the neighborhood then.

      Johann von Drachenfels
      West Kingdom
    • Dave Ordway
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 7, 2012

        Thanks everyone who's provided input so far.  I found this interesting table top on the web and by modifying the dimensions and attaching detachable legs it might fit the bill.  Thoughts, too Colonial looking?

        Lagerstein

        Johann, I reside on the East coast U.S.  Not SCA and don't know where Estrella is.
        > I've been kicking around the idea of making a woodworking bench that is collapsible or disassembles to bring to demos and faires. I'd like it to resemble something period but be as functional as a folding Workmate. It will mainly be used as a clamping table for sawing, chiseling, and planing. I have some ideas but thought I would throw it out to the group to see if anyone has any ideas or experiences. Material wise; it would have to be stable and sturdy but hopefully not weigh a hundred pounds (for example Oak). Any thoughts?

        There are some pictures of my portable workbench in the files section:

        and

        as well as some write-ups on it in the messages section. If you use
        "workbench" as the search term, you should be able to find them.

        I don't know where you're located, but the bench itself will make an
        appearance at Estrella War, if you happen to be in the neighborhood then.

        Johann von Drachenfels
        West Kingdom

      • James Daily
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 7, 2012
          Vises existed in the late period (and earlier for all I know, but these examples are from the late period):

          http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317b-15-v
          http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317b-34-r

          But they aren't integrated into the bench in the same way as that style of bench.

          Alternatively you could go really simple and make a portable four-legged with some dog holes, as in these examples:

          http://thomasguild.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html

          -James

          On Nov 7, 2012, at 1:35 PM, "Dave Ordway" <dabugler@...> wrote:

          > Thanks everyone who's provided input so far. I found this interesting table top on the web and by modifying the dimensions and attaching detachable legs it might fit the bill. Thoughts, too Colonial looking?
          >
          > Lagerstein
          >
          > http://www.popularwoodworking.com/workbenches/schwarz-workbenches/the-modern-milkmans-workbench
          >
          > Johann, I reside on the East coast U.S. Not SCA and don't know where Estrella is.

        • D. Young
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 9, 2012
            There is an antique dealer in the Chesapeake area that has a 18th/early 19th century workbench for sale at only 500.

            That is **CHEAP** for a great and probably workable antique

            Its 8 feet long X 30 wide....x 29 inches high (one could make a base for it)

            It was originally offered at 1000 dollars....cut to 500....but going back to auction next week.

            If interested LMK ASAP.....

            I found it in the Craigslist ads in the Chesapeake Maryland area.....

            I dont want to see this get used by some yahoo as a chabby chic kitchen slab (all cut up) or some sort of potting plant table outside.

                 Custom Commissions Welcome....!

            www.partsandtechnical.com

            To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
            From: dailyje@...
            Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 13:56:49 -0600
            Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Portable Workbench

            Vises existed in the late period (and earlier for all I know, but these examples are from the late period):

            http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317b-15-v
            http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317b-34-r

            But they aren't integrated into the bench in the same way as that style of bench.

            Alternatively you could go really simple and make a portable four-legged with some dog holes, as in these examples:

            http://thomasguild.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html

            -James

            On Nov 7, 2012, at 1:35 PM, "Dave Ordway" <dabugler@...> wrote:

            > Thanks everyone who's provided input so far. I found this interesting table top on the web and by modifying the dimensions and attaching detachable legs it might fit the bill. Thoughts, too Colonial looking?
            >
            > Lagerstein
            >
            > http://www.popularwoodworking.com/workbenches/schwarz-workbenches/the-modern-milkmans-workbench
            >
            > Johann, I reside on the East coast U.S. Not SCA and don't know where Estrella is.

          • K
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 17, 2012
              see: Roy Underhill, woodwright's aprentice
              also scanning thru posted pictures here i saw a nice one with removeable legs.