Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Portable Workbench

  • bsrlee
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 6, 2012
      Not sure which episode/season, but the guest carpenter was Chris
      Schwarz, who also makes a DVD on how to make your own, as well as
      teaching classes. You can probably find enough information on the 'Net
      with preview videos & Sketchup plans if you search sawhorse/sawbench &
      Chris Schwarz.

      A 'Roman' style work top could also work, just a big plank with 4 legs
      jammed into corner holes, several assorted dog holes for dogs and
      hold-downs plus a few odd cutouts (probably 'brakes' for green
      woodwork). You would also need some wedge sets to take the place of a
      vise. Interestingly, there is only one 'recognised' woodworkers bench
      from the classical period, but there are several planes of all sizes and
      materials, from block plane to jointer in size and wood to ivory in
      material.

      regards
      Brusi of Orkney

      On 07-Nov-12 3:23 PM, Geirfold wrote:
      > Which episode was that for the sawhorse?
      >
      > Geirfold
    • themaccolin
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 7, 2012
        I have used a folding bench, based on one of Roy Underhill's, that appears in his first or second book, for fifteen years or better. It is mostly of Douglas fir. Its size was based on the formal convention that it fit in the back of a Datsun stationwagon along with my tool box which was built to sit between the wheel wells. Its materials; especially the top, was defined by the Eisenhower era 4x12 garage door header off cut that I found in the garage of where I was living at the time. It has a crochit hook and a series of dog holes, with a wooden retractible bench stop. The bench is short and lower than most would like on the necessity of the aforementioned space available. The length of the bench defines the height, since the legs must fold flush beneath it. Since I'm only 5' 6" and I used it often to demonstrate with children this was not a terrible hardship. While the station wagon is, I'm sure, long since been reduced to scrap and returned to the land of its birth, both the bench and the tool chest continue to serve. They and I are, however much the worse for wear and are in sore need of replacement. If I was to build this bench again and I may, I would build it with the legs a bit heavier and the top a bit longer. I think that if you take a look at this bench of Roy's, you can modify it to your needs and to your desired period appearance.

        Yrs aye, Stiofan.

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Ordway" <dabugler@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > I've been kicking around the idea of making a woodworking bench that is collapsible or disassembles to bring to demos and faires. I'd like it to resemble something period but be as functional as a folding Workmate. It will mainly be used as a clamping table for sawing, chiseling, and planing. I have some ideas but thought I would throw it out to the group to see if anyone has any ideas or experiences. Material wise; it would have to be stable and sturdy but hopefully not weigh a hundred pounds (for example Oak). Any thoughts?
        >
        > Lagerstein

      • John LaTorre
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 7, 2012
          Lagerstein wrote:

          > I've been kicking around the idea of making a woodworking bench that is collapsible or disassembles to bring to demos and faires. I'd like it to resemble something period but be as functional as a folding Workmate. It will mainly be used as a clamping table for sawing, chiseling, and planing. I have some ideas but thought I would throw it out to the group to see if anyone has any ideas or experiences. Material wise; it would have to be stable and sturdy but hopefully not weigh a hundred pounds (for example Oak). Any thoughts?

          There are some pictures of my portable workbench in the files section:

          and

          as well as some write-ups on it in the messages section. If you use
          "workbench" as the search term, you should be able to find them.

          I don't know where you're located, but the bench itself will make an
          appearance at Estrella War, if you happen to be in the neighborhood then.

          Johann von Drachenfels
          West Kingdom
        • Dave Ordway
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 7, 2012

            Thanks everyone who's provided input so far.  I found this interesting table top on the web and by modifying the dimensions and attaching detachable legs it might fit the bill.  Thoughts, too Colonial looking?

            Lagerstein

            Johann, I reside on the East coast U.S.  Not SCA and don't know where Estrella is.
            > I've been kicking around the idea of making a woodworking bench that is collapsible or disassembles to bring to demos and faires. I'd like it to resemble something period but be as functional as a folding Workmate. It will mainly be used as a clamping table for sawing, chiseling, and planing. I have some ideas but thought I would throw it out to the group to see if anyone has any ideas or experiences. Material wise; it would have to be stable and sturdy but hopefully not weigh a hundred pounds (for example Oak). Any thoughts?

            There are some pictures of my portable workbench in the files section:

            and

            as well as some write-ups on it in the messages section. If you use
            "workbench" as the search term, you should be able to find them.

            I don't know where you're located, but the bench itself will make an
            appearance at Estrella War, if you happen to be in the neighborhood then.

            Johann von Drachenfels
            West Kingdom

          • James Daily
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 7, 2012
              Vises existed in the late period (and earlier for all I know, but these examples are from the late period):

              http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317b-15-v
              http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317b-34-r

              But they aren't integrated into the bench in the same way as that style of bench.

              Alternatively you could go really simple and make a portable four-legged with some dog holes, as in these examples:

              http://thomasguild.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html

              -James

              On Nov 7, 2012, at 1:35 PM, "Dave Ordway" <dabugler@...> wrote:

              > Thanks everyone who's provided input so far. I found this interesting table top on the web and by modifying the dimensions and attaching detachable legs it might fit the bill. Thoughts, too Colonial looking?
              >
              > Lagerstein
              >
              > http://www.popularwoodworking.com/workbenches/schwarz-workbenches/the-modern-milkmans-workbench
              >
              > Johann, I reside on the East coast U.S. Not SCA and don't know where Estrella is.

            • D. Young
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 9, 2012
                There is an antique dealer in the Chesapeake area that has a 18th/early 19th century workbench for sale at only 500.

                That is **CHEAP** for a great and probably workable antique

                Its 8 feet long X 30 wide....x 29 inches high (one could make a base for it)

                It was originally offered at 1000 dollars....cut to 500....but going back to auction next week.

                If interested LMK ASAP.....

                I found it in the Craigslist ads in the Chesapeake Maryland area.....

                I dont want to see this get used by some yahoo as a chabby chic kitchen slab (all cut up) or some sort of potting plant table outside.

                     Custom Commissions Welcome....!

                www.partsandtechnical.com

                To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                From: dailyje@...
                Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 13:56:49 -0600
                Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Portable Workbench

                Vises existed in the late period (and earlier for all I know, but these examples are from the late period):

                http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317b-15-v
                http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317b-34-r

                But they aren't integrated into the bench in the same way as that style of bench.

                Alternatively you could go really simple and make a portable four-legged with some dog holes, as in these examples:

                http://thomasguild.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html

                -James

                On Nov 7, 2012, at 1:35 PM, "Dave Ordway" <dabugler@...> wrote:

                > Thanks everyone who's provided input so far. I found this interesting table top on the web and by modifying the dimensions and attaching detachable legs it might fit the bill. Thoughts, too Colonial looking?
                >
                > Lagerstein
                >
                > http://www.popularwoodworking.com/workbenches/schwarz-workbenches/the-modern-milkmans-workbench
                >
                > Johann, I reside on the East coast U.S. Not SCA and don't know where Estrella is.

              • K
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 17, 2012
                  see: Roy Underhill, woodwright's aprentice
                  also scanning thru posted pictures here i saw a nice one with removeable legs.