Re: Portable Workbench

  • Geirfold
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 6, 2012
      Which episode was that for the sawhorse?

      Geirfold

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Sean Powell <sean14powell@...> wrote:

      > I've been re-watching a lot of Roy Undilhils Woodwrights shop lately.
      > Recently there was a re-run with a guest carpenter and they were using an
      > low English saw-horse. It was knee-cap high so you could comfortably kneel
      > on it when cross-cutting and sit when ripping. It also had a swallow-tail
      > extension to support boards while cutting with a small frame saw or
      > similar. I think if I were to do a medieval portable workbench I would
      > build a basic trestle-bench of that height with a pair (or more) of holes
      > that could mount a back or a few hold-downs.
      >
      > Alternately you could build a non-colapseable tool-box to do the same job
      > or build both to the same height for working long boards.
      >
      > I wouldn't use anything particularly expensive for the top as I would
      > expect it to get chewed up by saws and chisels over time.
      >
      > If I wanted a stand-up workbench I'd probably go with a 3-legged saw-horse
      > trestle with an oversized top and the lower trestle near ground level so it
      > could be stood on or sand-bagged for stability.
      >
      > Just some thoughs,
      > Sean Powell
      >

      > On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Dave Ordway <dabugler@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > **
      > > Greetings,
      > >
      > > I've been kicking around the idea of making a woodworking bench that is
      > > collapsible or disassembles to bring to demos and faires. I'd like it to
      > > resemble something period but be as functional as a folding Workmate. It
      > > will mainly be used as a clamping table for sawing, chiseling, and
      > > planing. I have some ideas but thought I would throw it out to the group
      > > to see if anyone has any ideas or experiences. Material wise; it would
      > > have to be stable and sturdy but hopefully not weigh a hundred pounds (for
      > > example Oak). Any thoughts?
      > >
      > > Lagerstein

    • bsrlee
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 6, 2012
        Not sure which episode/season, but the guest carpenter was Chris
        Schwarz, who also makes a DVD on how to make your own, as well as
        teaching classes. You can probably find enough information on the 'Net
        with preview videos & Sketchup plans if you search sawhorse/sawbench &
        Chris Schwarz.

        A 'Roman' style work top could also work, just a big plank with 4 legs
        jammed into corner holes, several assorted dog holes for dogs and
        hold-downs plus a few odd cutouts (probably 'brakes' for green
        woodwork). You would also need some wedge sets to take the place of a
        vise. Interestingly, there is only one 'recognised' woodworkers bench
        from the classical period, but there are several planes of all sizes and
        materials, from block plane to jointer in size and wood to ivory in
        material.

        regards
        Brusi of Orkney

        On 07-Nov-12 3:23 PM, Geirfold wrote:
        > Which episode was that for the sawhorse?
        >
        > Geirfold
      • themaccolin
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 7, 2012
          I have used a folding bench, based on one of Roy Underhill's, that appears in his first or second book, for fifteen years or better. It is mostly of Douglas fir. Its size was based on the formal convention that it fit in the back of a Datsun stationwagon along with my tool box which was built to sit between the wheel wells. Its materials; especially the top, was defined by the Eisenhower era 4x12 garage door header off cut that I found in the garage of where I was living at the time. It has a crochit hook and a series of dog holes, with a wooden retractible bench stop. The bench is short and lower than most would like on the necessity of the aforementioned space available. The length of the bench defines the height, since the legs must fold flush beneath it. Since I'm only 5' 6" and I used it often to demonstrate with children this was not a terrible hardship. While the station wagon is, I'm sure, long since been reduced to scrap and returned to the land of its birth, both the bench and the tool chest continue to serve. They and I are, however much the worse for wear and are in sore need of replacement. If I was to build this bench again and I may, I would build it with the legs a bit heavier and the top a bit longer. I think that if you take a look at this bench of Roy's, you can modify it to your needs and to your desired period appearance.

          Yrs aye, Stiofan.

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Ordway" <dabugler@...> wrote:

          > Greetings,
          >
          > I've been kicking around the idea of making a woodworking bench that is collapsible or disassembles to bring to demos and faires. I'd like it to resemble something period but be as functional as a folding Workmate. It will mainly be used as a clamping table for sawing, chiseling, and planing. I have some ideas but thought I would throw it out to the group to see if anyone has any ideas or experiences. Material wise; it would have to be stable and sturdy but hopefully not weigh a hundred pounds (for example Oak). Any thoughts?
          >
          > Lagerstein

        • John LaTorre
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 7, 2012
            Lagerstein wrote:

            > I've been kicking around the idea of making a woodworking bench that is collapsible or disassembles to bring to demos and faires. I'd like it to resemble something period but be as functional as a folding Workmate. It will mainly be used as a clamping table for sawing, chiseling, and planing. I have some ideas but thought I would throw it out to the group to see if anyone has any ideas or experiences. Material wise; it would have to be stable and sturdy but hopefully not weigh a hundred pounds (for example Oak). Any thoughts?

            There are some pictures of my portable workbench in the files section:

            and

            as well as some write-ups on it in the messages section. If you use
            "workbench" as the search term, you should be able to find them.

            I don't know where you're located, but the bench itself will make an
            appearance at Estrella War, if you happen to be in the neighborhood then.

            Johann von Drachenfels
            West Kingdom
          • Dave Ordway
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 7, 2012

              Thanks everyone who's provided input so far.  I found this interesting table top on the web and by modifying the dimensions and attaching detachable legs it might fit the bill.  Thoughts, too Colonial looking?

              Lagerstein

              Johann, I reside on the East coast U.S.  Not SCA and don't know where Estrella is.
              > I've been kicking around the idea of making a woodworking bench that is collapsible or disassembles to bring to demos and faires. I'd like it to resemble something period but be as functional as a folding Workmate. It will mainly be used as a clamping table for sawing, chiseling, and planing. I have some ideas but thought I would throw it out to the group to see if anyone has any ideas or experiences. Material wise; it would have to be stable and sturdy but hopefully not weigh a hundred pounds (for example Oak). Any thoughts?

              There are some pictures of my portable workbench in the files section:

              and

              as well as some write-ups on it in the messages section. If you use
              "workbench" as the search term, you should be able to find them.

              I don't know where you're located, but the bench itself will make an
              appearance at Estrella War, if you happen to be in the neighborhood then.

              Johann von Drachenfels
              West Kingdom

            • James Daily
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 7, 2012
                Vises existed in the late period (and earlier for all I know, but these examples are from the late period):

                http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317b-15-v
                http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317b-34-r

                But they aren't integrated into the bench in the same way as that style of bench.

                Alternatively you could go really simple and make a portable four-legged with some dog holes, as in these examples:

                http://thomasguild.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html

                -James

                On Nov 7, 2012, at 1:35 PM, "Dave Ordway" <dabugler@...> wrote:

                > Thanks everyone who's provided input so far. I found this interesting table top on the web and by modifying the dimensions and attaching detachable legs it might fit the bill. Thoughts, too Colonial looking?
                >
                > Lagerstein
                >
                > http://www.popularwoodworking.com/workbenches/schwarz-workbenches/the-modern-milkmans-workbench
                >
                > Johann, I reside on the East coast U.S. Not SCA and don't know where Estrella is.

              • D. Young
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 9, 2012
                  There is an antique dealer in the Chesapeake area that has a 18th/early 19th century workbench for sale at only 500.

                  That is **CHEAP** for a great and probably workable antique

                  Its 8 feet long X 30 wide....x 29 inches high (one could make a base for it)

                  It was originally offered at 1000 dollars....cut to 500....but going back to auction next week.

                  If interested LMK ASAP.....

                  I found it in the Craigslist ads in the Chesapeake Maryland area.....

                  I dont want to see this get used by some yahoo as a chabby chic kitchen slab (all cut up) or some sort of potting plant table outside.

                       Custom Commissions Welcome....!

                  www.partsandtechnical.com

                  To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                  From: dailyje@...
                  Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 13:56:49 -0600
                  Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Portable Workbench

                  Vises existed in the late period (and earlier for all I know, but these examples are from the late period):

                  http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317b-15-v
                  http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317b-34-r

                  But they aren't integrated into the bench in the same way as that style of bench.

                  Alternatively you could go really simple and make a portable four-legged with some dog holes, as in these examples:

                  http://thomasguild.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html

                  -James

                  On Nov 7, 2012, at 1:35 PM, "Dave Ordway" <dabugler@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks everyone who's provided input so far. I found this interesting table top on the web and by modifying the dimensions and attaching detachable legs it might fit the bill. Thoughts, too Colonial looking?
                  >
                  > Lagerstein
                  >
                  > http://www.popularwoodworking.com/workbenches/schwarz-workbenches/the-modern-milkmans-workbench
                  >
                  > Johann, I reside on the East coast U.S. Not SCA and don't know where Estrella is.

                • K
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 17, 2012
                    see: Roy Underhill, woodwright's aprentice
                    also scanning thru posted pictures here i saw a nice one with removeable legs.