Matthewe Baker - 2012 additions to camp - 8 photos of 3 new items

  • Julian Wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2012
      In my photo Album, "Matthewe Baker - 2012 additions to camp", I have today posted new pics. of two just-completed items for our period encampment. And of another flat-packing bench made a few weeks ago for a local re-enactor.
      A 6-bottle-carrier that becomes a wine rack.
      And a "personal washing station", which incorporates a circa 200yr.-old brass basin, - and a mirror made from "super-polished" brass. [Matthewe Baker was well-off during his Royal Service to King Henry VII, but he couldn't have afford one of the newly-invented mercury-amalgam-silvered glass mirrors that were then being exported to Western Europe from Murano in the Serene Republic, and
      polished brass would have been the next best material within his purchasing power.]
      The latter unit will greatly add to our comfort when camping at historic sites with minimal "comfort facilities", [such as the ancient Almshouse of St. Cross, Winchester, - and Raglan Castle, S. Wales.]
      Both items have been made from otherwise-surplus timber from the "offcuts" bin in my Joinery Shop.
      My Lady Madame AĆ©lys asked for a 24" square by 40"-high size for the washing station - which easily accomodated the antique 16"-wide, 6"- deep brass bowl, which latter lifts out - [using the finger-cut-out depressions at 9 & 3 o'clock in the worktop] to give access to the storage space underneath, where all our personal toiletry items can be both transported-, and hidden from view when in-camp.
      The upper unit is separate from the folding legs.
      "Rosehead cut nails" provide "mechanical" strength to the glued-joints of the box frame.The pivot bolts for the legs were handomade with irregular-rectangular heads and give a "black, forge-fire finish" by repeated qheating and quenching in dirty oil.
      The brass chain links are brazed closed.
      The exterior surfaces were sealed with "flat matt varnish" and then given several heavy coats of Beeswax, allowed to harden-off for a week between each coat, before final buffing.
      The "interior working surface" has been given several coats of "Diamond-hard" Gloss Varnish, to prevent water absorbtion from splashes when we wash ourselves.