Re: [MedievalSawdust] Hinges

  • bsrlee2@pacific.net.au
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
      Lee Valley

      http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=41262&cat=3,41241

      The un-equal arm strap hinges are very close to the shape of some of the
      rust stains on the Mary Rose chests - the decorative arm goes outside the
      back & the short, plain arm goes underneath the lid. You can tap the pin
      out of the knuckle & reverse one leaf easily as the ends of the pin are
      rounded but the pin is retained by a grove & dimple, not by rivetting
      over.

      Van Dykes also sell 'similar' hardware, but the photos in their catalog &
      site do not give an adequate indication of the thickness of some pieces -
      I found a nice surface mount hasp & staple that turned out to be about
      3/8" thick in reality.

      regards
      Brusi of Orkney
      Rowany/Lochac

      > Helsa!
      >
      > Anybody know of a online site that sells late medieval hinges for use on
      > chests?
      >
      > I seem to remember listngs a while back but can't find them.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Geirfold halvblindi
    • Gary Link
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
        Ball and Ball  http://www.ballandball-us.com/

        They only do reproductions including fasteners, in Brass, Bronze, and Iron. Most of the stuff is 18th century(pre industrial revolution) but much of it is the same or very close to period.

        In Service
        Hal
        Middle

        To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        From: bsrlee2@...
        Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 01:49:25 +1100
        Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Hinges

        Lee Valley

        http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=41262&cat=3,41241

        The un-equal arm strap hinges are very close to the shape of some of the
        rust stains on the Mary Rose chests - the decorative arm goes outside the
        back & the short, plain arm goes underneath the lid. You can tap the pin
        out of the knuckle & reverse one leaf easily as the ends of the pin are
        rounded but the pin is retained by a grove & dimple, not by rivetting
        over.

        Van Dykes also sell 'similar' hardware, but the photos in their catalog &
        site do not give an adequate indication of the thickness of some pieces -
        I found a nice surface mount hasp & staple that turned out to be about
        3/8" thick in reality.

        regards
        Brusi of Orkney
        Rowany/Lochac

        > Helsa!
        >
        > Anybody know of a online site that sells late medieval hinges for use on
        > chests?
        >
        > I seem to remember listngs a while back but can't find them.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Geirfold halvblindi

      • Geirfold
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
          Thanks to everyone that posted. Helps a lot.

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Gary Link <halraeburn@...> wrote:

          > Ball and Ball
          > http://www.ballandball-us.com/
          > They only do reproductions including fasteners, in Brass, Bronze, and Iron. Most of the stuff is 18th century(pre industrial revolution) but much of it is the same or very close to period.
          > In ServiceHalMiddle
          >

          > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
          > From: bsrlee2@...
          > Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 01:49:25 +1100
          > Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Hinges

          > Lee Valley
          >

          > http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=41262&cat=3,41241
          >

          > The un-equal arm strap hinges are very close to the shape of some of the
          >
          > rust stains on the Mary Rose chests - the decorative arm goes outside the
          >
          > back & the short, plain arm goes underneath the lid. You can tap the pin
          >
          > out of the knuckle & reverse one leaf easily as the ends of the pin are
          >
          > rounded but the pin is retained by a grove & dimple, not by rivetting
          >
          > over.
          >

          > Van Dykes also sell 'similar' hardware, but the photos in their catalog &
          >
          > site do not give an adequate indication of the thickness of some pieces -
          >
          > I found a nice surface mount hasp & staple that turned out to be about
          >
          > 3/8" thick in reality.
          >

          > regards
          >
          > Brusi of Orkney
          >
          > Rowany/Lochac
          >

          > > Helsa!
          >

          > > Anybody know of a online site that sells late medieval hinges for use on
          >
          > > chests?
          >

          > > I seem to remember listngs a while back but can't find them.
          >

          > > Thanks,
          >

          > > Geirfold halvblindi

        • D. Young
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 22, 2012
            I produce hinges, hand forged nails....etc

            Credits:

            I own numerous pieces of period furniture to study which provides excellent reference:

            • 1450 carved gothic chest
            • 1580 six board chest
            • 1630 joined stool
            • 1660 joined chest
            • 1650 carved box
            • numerous  17th, 18th pieces/components

            --Teach period woodworking using only period replica tools
            --Library has hundreds of furniture and blacksmithing texts
            --Been armouring and smithing for 30 years so I know metal.

            ...So if you need nails or hinges, I keep prices very reasonable because I realize that as hobbyists its not cheap to buy

            email  me  at  partsandtechnical@...

            or

            furnaceplans@...

            Happy to help