Hinges

  • Geirfold
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
      Helsa!

      Anybody know of a online site that sells late medieval hinges for use on chests?

      I seem to remember listngs a while back but can't find them.

      Thanks,

      Geirfold halvblindi
    • James Daily
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
        Fungi Forge has some period hinges in stock and can make custom ones.

        Lee Valley has some hand forged hinges.  Not sure if these designs are strictly period, but at least they're properly hand forged.

        Van Dyke's Restorers has some "period-esque" hinges.

      • bsrlee2@pacific.net.au
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
          Lee Valley

          http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=41262&cat=3,41241

          The un-equal arm strap hinges are very close to the shape of some of the
          rust stains on the Mary Rose chests - the decorative arm goes outside the
          back & the short, plain arm goes underneath the lid. You can tap the pin
          out of the knuckle & reverse one leaf easily as the ends of the pin are
          rounded but the pin is retained by a grove & dimple, not by rivetting
          over.

          Van Dykes also sell 'similar' hardware, but the photos in their catalog &
          site do not give an adequate indication of the thickness of some pieces -
          I found a nice surface mount hasp & staple that turned out to be about
          3/8" thick in reality.

          regards
          Brusi of Orkney
          Rowany/Lochac

          > Helsa!
          >
          > Anybody know of a online site that sells late medieval hinges for use on
          > chests?
          >
          > I seem to remember listngs a while back but can't find them.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Geirfold halvblindi
        • Gary Link
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
            Ball and Ball  http://www.ballandball-us.com/

            They only do reproductions including fasteners, in Brass, Bronze, and Iron. Most of the stuff is 18th century(pre industrial revolution) but much of it is the same or very close to period.

            In Service
            Hal
            Middle

            To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
            From: bsrlee2@...
            Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 01:49:25 +1100
            Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Hinges

            Lee Valley

            http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=41262&cat=3,41241

            The un-equal arm strap hinges are very close to the shape of some of the
            rust stains on the Mary Rose chests - the decorative arm goes outside the
            back & the short, plain arm goes underneath the lid. You can tap the pin
            out of the knuckle & reverse one leaf easily as the ends of the pin are
            rounded but the pin is retained by a grove & dimple, not by rivetting
            over.

            Van Dykes also sell 'similar' hardware, but the photos in their catalog &
            site do not give an adequate indication of the thickness of some pieces -
            I found a nice surface mount hasp & staple that turned out to be about
            3/8" thick in reality.

            regards
            Brusi of Orkney
            Rowany/Lochac

            > Helsa!
            >
            > Anybody know of a online site that sells late medieval hinges for use on
            > chests?
            >
            > I seem to remember listngs a while back but can't find them.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Geirfold halvblindi

          • Geirfold
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
              Thanks to everyone that posted. Helps a lot.

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Gary Link <halraeburn@...> wrote:

              > Ball and Ball
              > http://www.ballandball-us.com/
              > They only do reproductions including fasteners, in Brass, Bronze, and Iron. Most of the stuff is 18th century(pre industrial revolution) but much of it is the same or very close to period.
              > In ServiceHalMiddle
              >

              > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
              > From: bsrlee2@...
              > Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 01:49:25 +1100
              > Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Hinges

              > Lee Valley
              >

              > http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=41262&cat=3,41241
              >

              > The un-equal arm strap hinges are very close to the shape of some of the
              >
              > rust stains on the Mary Rose chests - the decorative arm goes outside the
              >
              > back & the short, plain arm goes underneath the lid. You can tap the pin
              >
              > out of the knuckle & reverse one leaf easily as the ends of the pin are
              >
              > rounded but the pin is retained by a grove & dimple, not by rivetting
              >
              > over.
              >

              > Van Dykes also sell 'similar' hardware, but the photos in their catalog &
              >
              > site do not give an adequate indication of the thickness of some pieces -
              >
              > I found a nice surface mount hasp & staple that turned out to be about
              >
              > 3/8" thick in reality.
              >

              > regards
              >
              > Brusi of Orkney
              >
              > Rowany/Lochac
              >

              > > Helsa!
              >

              > > Anybody know of a online site that sells late medieval hinges for use on
              >
              > > chests?
              >

              > > I seem to remember listngs a while back but can't find them.
              >

              > > Thanks,
              >

              > > Geirfold halvblindi

            • D. Young
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 22, 2012
                I produce hinges, hand forged nails....etc

                Credits:

                I own numerous pieces of period furniture to study which provides excellent reference:

                • 1450 carved gothic chest
                • 1580 six board chest
                • 1630 joined stool
                • 1660 joined chest
                • 1650 carved box
                • numerous  17th, 18th pieces/components

                --Teach period woodworking using only period replica tools
                --Library has hundreds of furniture and blacksmithing texts
                --Been armouring and smithing for 30 years so I know metal.

                ...So if you need nails or hinges, I keep prices very reasonable because I realize that as hobbyists its not cheap to buy

                email  me  at  partsandtechnical@...

                or

                furnaceplans@...

                Happy to help