Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Interested in making my own scribes/marking-gauges.

  • Karl Newman
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2012
      Knife blade = Bad Idea. the blade will flex then try to track the grain.
       a stiff pin sharpened to an oval chisel tip is best
      the "Pin" is just a nail driven thru the beam
      I have about a dozen different scribe designs I could put up on sketch up if anyone were interested.
      I commonly use (have on my bench) 3 scribes at any given time for any given project. the design that you refered to is an excellent one.
    • Barekr Silfri

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2012
          Hi,

          I have made a marking gauge using an article in Fine Woodworking magazine. I have scanned the article and added it in the files section as "Make gauge.pdf". Also in the photo section under Thomasguild I have uploaded some images of my gauge. I made the marking gauge several years ago from walnut, the marking pin is a nail which I have later given a "knife edge". The photo still shows the nail still having the point (which you can also use for marking).

          In my photo section there is also a scan of the marking gauges from the Mary Rose shipwreck (1548) taken from the book "before the mast. life and death on the mary rose" which I just had borrowed from the royal library this week ;)

          I hope this will be of interest and help making your marking gauge.

          Marijn
          St. Thomasguild
          (thomasguild.blogspot.nl)

        • conradh@efn.org
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 14, 2012
            > Hello,
            >
            > Primarily I'm a power-tool user but with my biggest tools in storage I've
            > been doing more small projects with hand tools and it's a different sort
            > of fun. I've also been spending a lot of time watching Roy Underhill and
            > The Woodwright shop. A lot of joinery work seems much easier using scribes
            > to mark locations then a pencil and it's a wonderfully simple tool so I
            > want to make one for myself but I'm curious how medieval versions held the
            > marking tip before metal screws came into common usage and if there are
            > better cutters then sharpened nails.
            >
            > This design just wedges the nail in place.
            > http://images.meredith.com/wood/pdf/WD324627.pdf
            >
            > In an ideal world I would think a piece of snap-off disposible razor knife
            > would make a perfect tip but I can't think of how to anchor it without
            > modern equipment.

            Think wedges. Either the wedging of the cutter directly into the wood
            (such as a nail you then sharpen) or a separate wedge such as holds a
            plane iron. No screws required