Video Recommendation - Mastering Hand Tools

  • Peter Ellison
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2012
      I can recommend:

      Mastering Hand Tools 2-Disc DVD

      Basics Skills for
      Balanced Woodworking, by Christopher Schwarz

      http://www.shopwoodworking.com/mastering-hand-tools-dvd-v7998?lid=CSpwbl092812

      I have liked other things by him, so I gave it a try and it was
      worth the watch.  I bought the DVD, I think the same content is
      available through their on demand service something I have not personally
      tried.

      I consider myself a medium skilled wood worker, not
      great but not a beginner, primarily hand tool user because of shop
      space.  Some of the things in the video I had seen in other places,
      but it is a good starting point especially if you don't live near anyone
      else who is a wood worker or a good teacher.  Or in my case too cheap
      to take a class with some one :-)  Where I think it also would be a
      good fit is someone who wants to try using hand tools but does not know
      where to start.

      The video is setup as a class, little segments
      on each different topic, for example segment on sharpening the first part
      was chisels, he talks a little bit about the different types of stones,
      sharpening aid and then walks through sharpening a chisel.  Then off
      to another topic.  Total run time was more than two hours.

      Peter Petrovitch