A medieval Roubo bookstand

  • James Daily
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 17, 2012
      Many of you have probably heard of the Roubo bookstand, which was featured on the Woodwright's Shop, Popular Woodworking, and quite a few woodworking blogs.  Here's the Woodwright's Shop episode:

      Although Roubo does not mention any inspiration or prior examples in L’Art du Menuisier, I wondered if the design might not go back further than the late 18th century.  Sure enough, the same single-piece folding design dates back to at least the thirteenth century in Anatolia, part of what is now Turkey.  The medieval design is slightly different in that the stand cradles the book rather than having the book stand up, but it is otherwise the same.  I used this as the basis for my winning entry in a recent SCA arts & sciences competition (the Calontir Queen's Prize Tournament, for those in the SCA).  I uploaded my documentation to Medieval Sawdust's website.  The filename is "A Thirteenth Century Turkish Bookstand."

      -James (aka Edward de Kent)
    • Julian Wilson
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 7, 2012

        Gentles all,
        I have just finished making three replica, hanging Chandeliers after the tiny image showing in a picture from the Tournament Book of Count René of Anjou, King of Sicily, [&c,&c] - this is my take on a decoratively carved version from the DIY Plans originally made by Master Gwillam ap Gwystyl, and on show at Master Terafan's "House Greydragon" website , http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/chandeliers.html

        I've posted the pictures in a new Album titled "Matthewe Baker's Period Lighting for Tents"
        Why three of them?
        Well, the Oak one is intended for a Christmas Present to a High Noble whose tent has a ridgepole from which it can be hung.
        And the other two, which I made from some 200yr.-old salvaged Pine, [which I'd set aside for something worthy of small pieces of truly antique timber]?
        Well, - with my machinery already 'set up' for each Operation to create the Oak one in my Workshop, - it was just as easy to make parts for three wooden Chandeliers as it was to make a “one-off”. More economical of my time that way, and I'm sure there will be folk in Drachenwald who be interested in buying them.
        [I haven't advertised them “For Sale” in my own Kingdom yet, - so  - if you would like one, because you don't have the tools, time, or work-space to make your own, - feel free to make me an offer for one of the Antique Pine versions.]

         Having just added pictures of an Artefact for those of you with tents that have high ridges and enough headroom to hang things from the ridge-pole, I've realised I've never posted pictures of what I made several years back, to give plenty of lighting in our 'hub & spoke' tents, while keeping the live-flame lights well away from where anyone could knock them over by accident.
        Since I've just made another such Artefact - [we named it a "lighting ring"] - for another gentle at his request [he'd seen ours in use at Raglan Ffair  in August just past], I just added those pictures to the same album.
        It's a circle of timber large enough to take eight oil candles [though one could probably set them closer and get ten on there], - with a slot cut into it wide enough to clear the dia. of the centre-pole, closed-off by a hinged flap; the whole sitting on top of your tent-spoke hub.
        Our original had replica-period, shallow-dished and centre-spiked candle-rests - cum wax-catchers. However, a couple of events back, we used, by accident, candles which produced a lot of wax residue, which overflowed onto one of my Lady's dresses, hung below. Never again - she got the wax out, after a lot of work, - and I decided then and there to use Master Terafan's idea of re-cycled small cans  - much deeper to hold a LOT more melted wax; - which receptacles will also take oil-candles if we ever find refillable ones over here in the UK.
        Anyway, this is to let those of You kind enough to be interested in my various Works, - that I'm posting some photos of the two Artefacts this morning, - in a newly created album titled "Matthewe Baker's Period Lighting items" - just as soon as your Moderator passes the images for viewing.
        In Service to The Dream,
         Matthewe Baker

      • Jerry Harder

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 30, 2013
          Dear Jerry,
           all I did was to post pictures, a few of which I am attaching direct to you personally; - knowing that other Group members won't see them because the Group mailbox strips such attachments..
          And I owe you an apology - I posted those pics in Albums on the Medieval Encampments Yahoo Group, meaning to repost them for this group and forgot to do so.
          Incidentally,  - the orginal Illumination for the chandelier - that is only in ONE of the four surviving copies of the famous "Livre Des Tournois" - the one in Flanders, not the one in the National Bibliotheque de France! The Illuminations are slightly different in all four of the surviving copies when compared one with another; - informed opinion is that each copy was illuminated in a different Studio - or at the least by different Limners.
          That Flemish copy IS viewable online, and it's the last illumination in the Copy - titled  in translation - "Presenting The Prizes", but you won't get much more from looking at the online digitised pictures than you have gotten from Master Greydragon's posted copy, [copy attached from the online book] because the wooden  chandelier is only a tiny detail at the top of the picture, as you'll see.
          Best Wishes,
           Matthewe Baker

          How does one get to the "albums" titled: Matthewe Baker's Period Lighting for Tents and Matthewe Baker's Period Lighting items I was also trying to get to National Bibliotheque de France sighted in the www.greydragon to look at the other similar chandelier but only got general info about the premiss.  How do I get to the actual information?.

        • Robert Capozello
          Message 5 of 7 , Apr 30, 2013
            We actually made a pair of these for our common tent at Pennsic and they work very well (we also made wooden blocks for raising and lowering them, but we are crazy that way).  We actually found LED taper candles with internal timers which turn the candles off six hours after you turn them on, and then turn them on again 18 hours later.  We turn half the candles on at 7PM, the other half at 8PM.  The first set goes out at 1AM, the second set at 2AM, and then they turn on again at the same time the next night.  An easy way to tell when you have stayed up way too late telling NSTIW stories.  :-)

            -- Marcellus

            Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2013
              I found some lanterns like that, they even flicker like a real candle flame,  but they are horribly dim.  I can barely see a can of pencils a foot from them and were &9.?? each at Walmart.  Were yours any better?  Where did you get them.  They make just enough light that one could hang them by a doorway to mark it so you could walk between them but you could  not see enough to keep from tripping on an object on the floor.  I am going to experiment with tiki torch refills.  I am spray-painting them to look like candles.  Funny-the only thing I have ever painted where a sloppy runny paint job looks better than a nice one.  Runny paint looks like drippy candles.  I am hoping the tiki torch wont blow out and would make more light.

              Message 7 of 7 , May 2, 2013
                Where did I get the Lanterns? I made them, slightly embellishing the design from Master Terafan's "furniture files".  [I have a fully-fitted Joinery Shop and I'm a Master Carpenter & Joiner.]
                And they are not "dim" with a live-flame light-source because of the following...............
                Underneath the sprung, rain/wind-shield [cut from recycled tin cans and painted with high-temp Paint used for automobile engine parts] on the top, is a circular hole 2.5 ins Dia., which will pass small "oil-candle" capsules with a 9 hr. burn time. I use tealights - or real candles made of a self-burning wax so that there is no melted-wax over-run to be cleaned off the movable platform base inside.The lower edges of the Draft Shield have a little notch filed into the middle of each edge; and this fits under the broad head of a little black-metal upholstery tack to hold the shield in place. When the shield needs to be removed to put a new light-source inside, you just spring the tin shield slightly inwards until one edge is clear of the head of the tack. Replacing the rain-shield is simple a reverse of that operation.
                The removable glazing is Polyacetate sheet. Less dangerous than glass, considering all the packing and unpacking we do when traveling to Events!
                Be warned, making this version of the original design is very fiddly and extremely labour-intensive if you do what I did: - which is - before assembly - staining all the exterior, and painting the inside surfaces with high-temp white gloss paint to increase reflectivity and hence the light-output. If one paints the  lantern interior white in this way, the light-output increases by 300 % at least. However, doing that means you need to do a LOT of masking-off twice over - once for the stain, and once for the painting, so that you don't get the Stain /Paint onto sections where each is not wanted.  applying Stain AND Paint doubles the labour-input for each lantern because of the time needed for masking-up and applying the two finishes to very small surfaces. And - I found that one can't stain all the surfaces and then apply the paint - because the spirit-based brown stain will "bleed through" the paint. Staining AND Painting nearly doubles the labour-time input for each Lantern.
                Another period-appropriate way to increase the light-output from a live-flame candle is to use "water-lenses" placed in front of the candle-flame to magnify the light-output.
                Another complication which takes time and care to deal with is arranging for the bottom of the lanterns to be removable, - so that if you DO need to clean out melted wax - or soot from badly-burning wicks - you only need to undo  4 screws to clean out the inside and the removable glazing.  The corner pillars are so small that you have to be careful the pilot holes for the screws are drilled in exactly the correct spot in the pillar-ends - there is little room for error. Then, when you dismantle for cleaning, you need to mark the relationship between the base and the rest of the assembly so that the base is attached in the same holes - and not accidentally rotated through 90 or 180 degrees, thus mistmatching the screwholes in the base with the screwholes in the corner-pillar bottom ends.
                By my timings in the workshop, each Lantern made  and finished like the took me about 6 hours to complete - and the only way I could justify that loss of commercial production time from my modern work was to do one tool-set-up for each operation, and make a lot oif Assembly-Jigs;  and run through the lantern-parts for a batch of 50 lanterns, and then sell off or give-away to friends the batch-surplus  we didn't need for our own encampment.
                To make these lanterns for commercial Sale, I'd have to price them at  £95GB each!  So, now I have all I need for our own encampment, I will not be making any more!
                I hope the above description will be useful for some of you, though, - who will not mind the time it takes - because the lanterns do look good when in use.
                In Service to the medieval dream,
                 Matthewe Baker