Green Mesquite

  • ErikB
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 14, 2012
      Hey all,

      My landlord just cut down a mesquite tree, and he's leaving cuttings on the property for firewood. What can I do with green mesquite for projects (besides spoons)? The largest straight piece is about two feet long, with about 6"-8" diameter. Should the stuff be seasoned first?

      Erik Baird
    • john_voloudakis
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 14, 2012
        Erik,

        Mesquite will work well for turning while green. Don't forget to save the scraps for use in your smoker / bbq.

        -Valerian

        Baron Valerian of Somerset
        Barony of Carolingia, East Kingdom

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "ErikB" <bairdec@...> wrote:

        > Hey all,
        >
        > My landlord just cut down a mesquite tree, and he's leaving cuttings on the property for firewood. What can I do with green mesquite for projects (besides spoons)? The largest straight piece is about two feet long, with about 6"-8" diameter. Should the stuff be seasoned first?
        >
        > Erik Baird

      • Liedtke Goetz
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 15, 2012
          Well, the tradition in Texas is to use it for barbed-wire fence posts (although juniper is preferred).  Mostly, it gets used for smoking/barbeque wood.

          My landlord just cut down a mesquite tree, and he's leaving cuttings on the property for firewood.  What can I do with green mesquite for projects (besides spoons)?  The largest straight piece is about two feet long, with about 6"-8" diameter.  Should the stuff be seasoned first?

          Erik Baird

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to: